...just BUYING a chicken run?

Too save money, check out Craigslist, type in the search box "dog kennel" or "dog run". You will likely find better quality used than new these days, as the dog kennels at the big box building supply and feed stores mostly couldn't contain a Chihuahua for any length of time and are ultra cheap Chinese junk. Look for panel style kennels that clamp together and come apart easily. These can be added onto as your chicken population expands, and are more portable and easier to haul away in a pickup truck when you buy them. When it comes to chainlink, you may need to add maybe 18 inches of 1 inch hex netting at the bottom of the run to keep your young birds from crawling through. I am actually using used 6 ft chainlink gates clamped together as a run for my chickens with a cover made of stock panels covered with 1" hex rabbit wire. They are easy to unclamp and reconfigure to meet changing needs. You will need to consider something to make your coop dig proof if you have skunks, possums, coyotes, foxes etc. I find laundry shelving to be portable and effective at deterring such activities and it is readily available at all the big box building supply places. I don't really like wood since termites are really bad where I live and for me, wood is a maintenance nightmare.
Totally agree. Just need to overcome my own fears.
Not sure about the reference to burning weeds?
When using hotwires, ranchers have trouble when weeds grow up touching the wire, causing it to ground out and quit working, so they use ones powerful enough to burn weeds that touch it.

Too save money, check out Craigslist, type in the search box "dog kennel" or "dog run". You will likely find better quality used than new these days, as the dog kennels at the big box building supply and feed stores mostly couldn't contain a Chihuahua for any length of time and are ultra cheap Chinese junk. Look for panel style kennels that clamp together and come apart easily. These can be added onto as your chicken population expands, and are more portable and easier to haul away in a pickup truck when you buy them. When it comes to chainlink, you may need to add maybe 18 inches of 1 inch hex netting at the bottom of the run to keep your young birds from crawling through. I am actually using used 6 ft chainlink gates clamped together as a run for my chickens with a cover made of stock panels covered with 1" hex rabbit wire. They are easy to unclamp and reconfigure to meet changing needs. You will need to consider something to make your coop dig proof if you have skunks, possums, coyotes, foxes etc. I find laundry shelving to be portable and effective at deterring such activities and it is readily available at all the big box building supply places. I don't really like wood since termites are really bad where I live and for me, wood is a maintenance nightmare.

When using hotwires, ranchers have trouble when weeds grow up touching the wire, causing it to ground out and quit working, so they use ones powerful enough to burn weeds that touch it.
Good suggestion. But I will day that the run hubby purchased from TSC is pretty fantastic. It's held up very well - like new after a year. So maybe not *all* of the new stuff out there is junk. But I would def do Craigslist to save $. I would have been more than happy to go that route.

But it's been a week or so: have you settled on anything yet @KBrammell ? Just curious.
:)

Good suggestion. But I will day that the run hubby purchased from TSC is pretty fantastic. It's held up very well - like new after a year. So maybe not *all* of the new stuff out there is junk. But I would def do Craigslist to save $. I would have been more than happy to go that route.

But it's been a week or so: have you settled on anything yet @KBrammell ? Just curious.
Thanks for asking...I decided to go with the walk-in Omlet run! I will post pictures and let you all know if I think it was the right choice once it arrives and I try to assemble it ‍♀️ :) I chose the Omlet over the other suggestions to avoid having to modify/reinforce alternative structures (like a kennel), since handiwork is not my forte...

After viewing this online, I decided to duplicate it - we used an A frame design (like on a swing set) which gives the hens a lot of floor space, but isn't as imposing a structure in my back yard. We attached a small coop w/laying boxes (sold at Walmart and others) to it for easy access without going inside of the main structure. I've been using this for our hens for four years now, with a sand base and have had great results.View attachment 1828743 View attachment 1828743
Wow looks great! Good job

Maybe not, that one that you got does look pretty good, though pricey for the size... But everything is these days... I would bet money though, that it is made in China and I would note that a year is not really a very long time. One reviewer complained that hers was rusting out after a year and has pics in the review to prove it. When it comes to metal, galvanized is a better way to go than paint I find. I note that the manufacturer was eager to "make it right" with said reviewer if she would send an email to them. I'm thinking that is only because of the review though, since the firm wanted to be "directed to your former complaint". Perhaps that reviewer lives in a very wet climate, like Portland Oregon or something. Anyway, I am sincerely hoping that yours continues to look and perform well. I do like the fact that it comes covered, saving you that problem and isn't covered with tarp material that will soon deteriorate and have to be constantly replaced.

Maybe not, that one that you got does look pretty good, though pricey for the size... But everything is these days... I would bet money though, that it is made in China and I would note that a year is not really a very long time. One reviewer complained that hers was rusting out after a year and has pics in the review to prove it. When it comes to metal, galvanized is a better way to go than paint I find. I note that the manufacturer was eager to "make it right" with said reviewer if she would send an email to them. I'm thinking that is only because of the review though, since the firm wanted to be "directed to your former complaint". Perhaps that reviewer lives in a very wet climate, like Portland Oregon or something. Anyway, I am sincerely hoping that yours continues to look and perform well. I do like the fact that it comes covered, saving you that problem and isn't covered with tarp material that will soon deteriorate and have to be constantly replaced.
Yeah. it wasn't my choice. When hubby shows any interest in mydoings, though, I jump at any suggestions he makes. And I will add that my climate is very forgiving, too.

Yeah. it wasn't my choice. When hubby shows any interest in mydoings, though, I jump at any suggestions he makes. And I will add that my climate is very forgiving, too.
Great to have a husband who will help... And he did pick up something that was probably the best available new... I do have some powder coated fencing coops that came with the chicken houses I purchased on-line... So far, it has been alright. But, here in the San Joaquin Valley we don't see a lot of wet weather. I am older now, and probably should quit worrying about how long things are going to last... A lot of it may outlast me!

@BreanneRN
I can’t think of an electric fencer that could burn weeds. How could you keep it from starting a massive fire? Do you have a reference for this?
The point is to run a low impedance charger that boosts voltage when the fence load increases due to weeds, not burn them.
This is taken from Zareba:

To combat excessive weeds, use low impedance energizers, which are capable of increasing their energy output as fence load increases. As weeds touch the fence line, drawing voltage and amperage to earth, the low impedance energizer will begin to compensate for the power drain by releasing stored energy (joules). This boost overcomes the voltage loss caused by the weeds, and pushes energy to the rest of fence line. As long as the wire remains in contact with the energizer, the energy can flow past vegetation to keep the fence hot.

Back
Top Bottom