Just candled eggs

Tracy the chick

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Uk
Ive just candled my first set of eggs. I have 12 mixed marans, i could see babys in 8 with veins all around it and 3 that i think might not be formed.. Im on day 8, temp is 37.6 and humidity is 50% when i get to day 18 i know. Have to up the humidity but what about the temprature? Do i leave it at 37.6 or switch it off?

I have left the temperature the same throughout ~~~ that's what other BYCers have recommended
wink.png

I hope you mean 97.6 for temp. it should be 99.5.

Ive just candled my first set of eggs. I have 12 mixed marans, i could see babys in 8 with veins all around it and 3 that i think might not be formed.. Im on day 8, temp is 37.6 and humidity is 50% when i get to day 18 i know. Have to up the humidity but what about the temprature? Do i leave it at 37.6 or switch it off?

congrats on candling eggs of marans... they make really dark eggs... wow....
I attempted to candle eggs, but I never could. I had 6 eggs hatch on me, in my house, but even a flashlight with fully charged batteries didn't show anything in the egg. I tried all ways really except a cone device to direct a bulb's light, to build a good enough device. Seemed hard to me. Just I let my hen that was broody sit and she sat full 21 days and then an egg started peeping I was so excited. I broke one of her eggs and there was blood in it but I couldn't tell before I broke the egg/cracked the egg... I was afraid of that happening again. So I let her and her eggs be and I got some Hannukkah presents, six of them ;) And she's a Rhode Island Red who makes Brown eggs, but I have another RIR and the other hen Is a different shade of feather (brown like RIR but the momma hen is dark red or a deep red or burgendy or bright and I never had a hen so Red and dark red like she is) Anyways, the eggs they make are different shape and color. The momma hen's eggs were small because she was under a year old and they were way darker than the older hen. So something tells me she's just not fully RIR because I had 8 RIRs before that all make big light brown eggs compared to momma bird ;) One hen is named Brownie Girl, the other is Red Hen. But they were both bought from the same farm store and just one hen I got from there was redder than the rest of the RIR's. Explains why she is such a good momma hen....

Ooooh.. wait... I had chickens 2 years. First year we got RIR's supposedly from the farm store. 6-8 of them. Only one still is around. Then the next year, we only got two of the same name birds... 1 didn't make it... It was red like Red Hen but had a black mark around the top of the tail. I know of Privett Hatchery website from that farm store, a poster they had. The plumage matches the Buckeye. So she's half Buckeye.. explains the dark red. But Red Hen is all dark red. her sister from the farm store the same day had just that one spot of black. under the bird's description is:
Buckeyes are a rare American breed originating in Ohio, the "Buckeye State.” even that doesn't say they are good mothers.. but they are not full RIR or Buckeye hens... explains everything... Nirvana.. lmao... ;) I luv all religions, but I see fault in every one religion... ;) There's always the good and the bad. I'm not Buddhist or Hinduist because they believe in more than one god, but I see nothing wrong with them as a people ;) Sure they can change their ways, but it's their right to choose to stay their own faith. Enuf religion talk... ;) just Hallelujah... Praise God.... that my hen is a good mother.

congrats on candling eggs of marans... they make really dark eggs... wow....
I attempted to candle eggs, but I never could. I had 6 eggs hatch on me, in my house, but even a flashlight with fully charged batteries didn't show anything in the egg. I tried all ways really except a cone device to direct a bulb's light, to build a good enough device. Seemed hard to me. Just I let my hen that was broody sit and she sat full 21 days and then an egg started peeping I was so excited. I broke one of her eggs and there was blood in it but I couldn't tell before I broke the egg/cracked the egg... I was afraid of that happening again. So I let her and her eggs be and I got some Hannukkah presents, six of them ;) And she's a Rhode Island Red who makes Brown eggs, but I have another RIR and the other hen Is a different shade of feather (brown like RIR but the momma hen is dark red or a deep red or burgendy or bright and I never had a hen so Red and dark red like she is) Anyways, the eggs they make are different shape and color. The momma hen's eggs were small because she was under a year old and they were way darker than the older hen. So something tells me she's just not fully RIR because I had 8 RIRs before that all make big light brown eggs compared to momma bird ;) One hen is named Brownie Girl, the other is Red Hen. But they were both bought from the same farm store and just one hen I got from there was redder than the rest of the RIR's. Explains why she is such a good momma hen....

Ooooh.. wait... I had chickens 2 years. First year we got RIR's supposedly from the farm store. 6-8 of them. Only one still is around. Then the next year, we only got two of the same name birds... 1 didn't make it... It was red like Red Hen but had a black mark around the top of the tail. I know of Privett Hatchery website from that farm store, a poster they had. The plumage matches the Buckeye. So she's half Buckeye.. explains the dark red. But Red Hen is all dark red. her sister from the farm store the same day had just that one spot of black. under the bird's description is:
Buckeyes are a rare American breed originating in Ohio, the "Buckeye State.” even that doesn't say they are good mothers.. but they are not full RIR or Buckeye hens... explains everything... Nirvana.. lmao... ;) I luv all religions, but I see fault in every one religion... ;) There's always the good and the bad. I'm not Buddhist or Hinduist because they believe in more than one god, but I see nothing wrong with them as a people ;) Sure they can change their ways, but it's their right to choose to stay their own faith. Enuf religion talk... ;) just Hallelujah... Praise God.... that my hen is a good mother.
Hi there, i got one of them brinsea egg candler from brinsea, it has a magnafying glass on it, its a bit like a scope. The dark maran eggs were the hardest but with this candler i could see the baby. Ive got 2 RIR eggs too and they were great to see.. He's keeping my fingers crossed lol. And i really hope your hen is going to be a good mummy..Tracy.xxx

Omigosh, I am so excited that you saw babies developing!!!!

Have you looked into the dry incubation method? I'm wondering if 50% humidity is a little too high for days 1-18. It seems like the commonly thing to do now is 35%-40% for days 1-18, and then 65% or so for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom