Just candled shipped eggs, one is all dark...

UncleTommy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Sanger, CA
Hi, this is my first batch of eggs and i just candled some eggs that came via post office, they we're rough on them. I have 10 ee and a doz marans. The marans we're too dark to see anything, but all the EE have detacted air cells except one that is all dark except for the air cell which doesn't move. Idk if this makes a difference, but it feels solid, like it has heft to it....what does that mean?

While i'm at it, the detacted air cell eggs, those go into a carton big end up without moving for a couple of days, right?

I saw another post where a person did that - did not move the eggs for 2 days and it seemed to help. Here is the quote - not sure who first posted this as their name was not part of the quote:

I'd like to share something that I discovered. When candling my shipped egg last night it dawned on me that the air cell is perfect! I have never seen, in all the shipped eggs I have hatched this summer, an air cell this good. They are always large and irregular from the air cell being ruptured from rough handling by the post office. After reading on some other sites some tips on getting better hatches out of shipped eggs, this time I let my eggs sit for 2 whole days before starting them, then after I put them in the incubator, I waited a whole other day before turning on the turner. Looks like the extra time allowed the air cell to go back to normal clap I just won an Ebay auction for 8+ bantam Polish eggs that are coming from Kansas to me in California next week and I am going to try this again with them and see if I get the same result.

This is from "Setting 8/12 Any buddies" thread. good luck!

Ive tried letting them set.. and I've also put them straight into the bator.. in all honesty.. the ones I let set for a few days never did reattach..

On August 25th I got in 8 muscovy eggs.. I candled them and felt like throwing them out,, the air cells were detached and full of bubbles.. i honestly wrote them off as a loss.. but I went ahead and put them into the incubator without waiting.. Well.. I candled the other day.. the air cells are still detached and some still have bubbles.. but out of 8 eggs 6 are showing veins and teeny little embryos...

I had 12 Delaware eggs with detached air cells (no bubbles in these).. I let them rest for a few days .. of the 12 only 1 egg showed any signs of life at day 7... and none reattached their air cells after resting

So personally I haven't had any luck with air cells reattaching .. it could be that mine were just really damaged.. however the muscovy eggs seem to have plenty of life in them .. so I am beginning to think that loose air cells don't make THAT much of a difference so long as the eggs are incubated with the large end up to keep them in the general area of where they need to be

I wasn't planning on using cartons till lockdown, but i Hot2pot spoiled me yesterday with her eggs, all perfectly wrapped and air cells intact...then the post office does this to me, it was pretty bad, i'm surprised there are scuff marks from people's feet. that dark one is...troublesome i'll put it in and give it the sniff test every few days.

Sometimes we get lucky, other times not . I didn't hatch any out of my first few batches of shipped eggs, but I keep on trying. I am all in a state because here comes the long weekend and I am waiting on eggs. Hot as blazes out there. I collected eggs twice today already so they wouldn't start incubating in the heat. Good luck on yours!

i took a peek at the egg after it'd been in a for a bit and it was weeping. I'd had another egg in the box weep too, so i took it out. when i cracked it open it looked... soft boiled, thats they only way i could describe it, i didn't take too close of a peep or whiff, but disaster averted.

Uncle TOmmy, it's funny that you should mention that soft boiled look--I cracked old eggs for my dogs supper last night (they get scrambled eggs now and then) and the one with the cracked shell also had a yolk that looked like it had already been cooked. Just my observation.

Back
Top Bottom