Just Candled...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover2251, Sep 12, 2011.

1. chickenlover2251

chickenlover2251 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    We are trying to hatch Crele Oegb and Birchen Oegb. We had 14 Crele eggs and only 2 are for sure alive. This is day 6 for them. We had 12 Birchen eggs and only 6 are for sure alive and they are on day 4. How many more can we expect to lose? We threw away 8 eggs that had bacteria bubbles and no babies (we didn't want them to explode). I really want atleast 1 hen [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You didn't take them out did you? What are bacteria bubbles at day 6 and day 4 its not always clear to tell if they are growing or not.

3. chickenlover2251

chickenlover2251 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    I took them out because I didn't see an embryo or veins and when I turned the eggs bubbles floated around. I also had many eggs that looked speckled and were hard to tell whether they were alive or not, but I left those in there. I also forgot to mention that these were shipped eggs. I hope I didn't do anything wrong by throwing the bacteria looking ones out?[​IMG]

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    I usually wait until day 10 to throw out clear eggs, just in case. Sometimes you get a surprise, but usually not and they are really clear. I think the air bubbles were probably the air cell that had been broken in shipping, but not sure, I've never seen bubbles before. I've heard that you can see it broken when you candle the egg though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by