Just Clucking Around

Wow if this works out it could be really usefull hope your right, lol im still laughing at the "sexy chick" typo at the beginning of your comment :D

I did not notice that till you just pointed it out. I then had to go back and find it. I started cracking up!!!!!
Baaahaaaa!!!!

Wow what a busy week!
Went to the meat market, bought meat then stopped and bought a calf on the way home (which was not planned).
Got home and finished putting up the fence for our current chicken residents.
Put the roosters in separate pens so they'll leave my girls alone. Watching a plus size woman chase chickens while flailing a net is quite funny, according to the Spouse and our son.
Brought the calf home and had to drag him to the back yard because he would not cooperate and I could not pick him up. All the while my 4 hens were raising cain because I brought an outsider in. Our dog standing on the far side of the yard shaking like a leaf. And my son is chasing a bull. All while the hens are raising cain, and the roosters were yelling at from their enclosures, if that's possible. I'm sure somebody finds all this as amusing, I do now that it's over.

On another note out 27 chicks are doing wonderful. Everyone is sleeping on the roost I installed. I must say it's quite a sight to see that many birds lined up in a row. They are still in the brooder. I'm thinking about taking everyone on a field trip to the grassy nole next week since it'll be in this 70's.

Let's see how that goes. Thinking I'll take them to the front yard so I won't have to deal with a nudging calf dying for attention.

Well, we had discussed it several times but never committed to it. My goal is to get back to eating food the way it's intended to be eaten, naturally. Without the chemicals, additives, or hormones that is in so much of our food now.
Now back to the story....
We was driving home and I saw a sign that said "Poultry Farm". I made the spouse take us there because I wanted to see if there was anything I could learn from it. After driving down a really long gravel road aptly named "Long Lane" we see baby calves, cows, ducks, geese, chickens, horses, and an entire Amish community.
My husband spoke with the men about the calves and found out that they only sell bulls. We discussed a few things and decided that since it was coming from the Amish we'd go ahead and bite the bullet. The Amish here don't believe in using unnatural means to acquire product. So we knew we'd be getting a cow that has no hormones, etc in its system. In MHO that's the best way to start, free and clear.
I know what's being put in so I'll know what comes out.

Today is the chick flocks first day outdoors

They are loving it. Figure I'll let them stay out for a while, get some fresh air, let the house air out, clean a little, blah blah blah.
Although I do miss the ruckus inside, it was beginning to smell. I could smell the wonderful stench of chicken poo. Awe! Yuck!
Plan on gradually integrating the chick flock with my grown girls over the next few weeks. But the for the first couple of days I'm putting them in the front yard before taking them around back to meet Butch and the crew.

The roosters are still separated and the girls are showing much improvement since they aren't being raped every 5 min.
If my memory holds up I'll take some pictures of the adult chickens and post those. When I do, I have an interesting story that goes along with their names.
I'll be posting more pictures in the next few days.
Till then have a great day!!!!

The occurrence of the dreaded chicken poop smell is also what decides it for me aswel lol,
Just candled my broodys eggs day 10 and there doing good :)

Hope you don't mind but I checked out your profile and noticed that you are from Ireland. I have always told the spouse that if we are ever fortunate enough to take a real vacation that I want to go to Ireland. I have wanted to since watching Scarlett (yes I'm a Gone With The Wind fan). Maybe one day I'll get to, when I win the lottery.
bow.gif

Lol :D if you ever do I would highely recommend Inis Mór its an Island off the coast of Galway my mother and father are from there we live on the mainland now though :/ its a gorgeous place plus I could get you cheap tickets for the ferry and the use of our house there depending on what time of the year you visit, we let loads of people use it so it would be no trouble :)

Or Wicklow loads of people love it green fields and all that, we'r more west coast people, rough land, rocks, wilderness e.t.c. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom