Just curious what actually works best on poultry lice?

jkzimm04

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I just bought two silkies and they have what I believe is lice. I looked on the poof on their heads and I see flat little brown bugs that kind of resemble a flea, but is not a flea. I am pretty sure that they are lice. I was reading that sevin powder works, but it sounds messy. What else works well for lice? I will be running to our local TSC tonight. Anybody know of something better than Sevin??

Sevin does work very well. It's a little messy, but not terribly so. I put on plastic gloves and hand dust the chicken outside, on the grass or dirt. I take small handfuls of Sevin and sprinkle it under their wings, on their belly, their back, tail, vent area, everywhere. I think DE works well as a preventative, but not once lice and mites are present.

Last edited:
I called my local TSC and they are holding the Sevin for me, as it's their LAST one! I also was wondering, would diatomaceous earth kill the lice if I dust them in that in the mean time? I read somewhere that it is supposed to. I won't be able to get to my TSC until later tonight. What do you think?

I also have a flock of 20 chickens. They are TOTALLY separated from my new silkies. The silkies are in my garage and I set them outside during the day. What precautions must I take to keep my flock from getting it?? I also have a dog who would be in close range of the new silkies...is it possible for him to get the lice??

I might use the DE to help prevent an infestation but definitely use the Sevin to get rid of an existing problem. When I dust my birds I sprinkle the dust on a fluffy fleece car cloth and pat the birds with it (like a powder puff). It is messy but it works fast and well. Just try not to inhale a bunch of it.

HA! I just figured out that DE is Diatomaceous Earth! LOL
gig.gif

I think I will go out now and give my old timers a good old bath of DE just in case!!

I have one more question, if my other girls by chance get lice and I have to treat them with Sevin, are the eggs effected?

I would dust them in the coop if there is good ventilation, that way whatever Sevin falls off the birds will go in the coop to get rid of them there too. Eggs are fine, rinse well with warm water.

Hello,

Just remember to dust the silkies again in 14 days, to kill any of the lice that hatches from the eggs before they're old enough to reproduce.

I would dust the area they're staying in right now too, so the lice doesn't go anywhere else...

Quote:
No, and Sevin can actually be used in a vegetable garden before harvest. As a precaution, wear gloves when dusting the chickens and do avoid inhaling the powder. DE will not kill exisiting lice and mites and I would avoid putting it on the chickens who will be getting the Sevin treatment (so the Sevin won't mix with the DE already on their skin and feathers), but you can use the DE as a preventative measure for your pest-free chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom