Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
Some people just don't get it. My hubby's brother and sis-in-law are notorious for this. Well, everyone has a mortgage, how can you not have a car loan, everyone has credit card debt, always telling us that we can't live without this or that, etc. We can live without all this. We do have a mortgage, but our plan is to pay off early -- they think it can't be done. We don't have any car loans and are saving to buy the hubby's next truck.

Last edited:
Quote:
it is? LOL who's going to enforce that one? and how would they tell if it was food specially cooked up for the chickens or your leftovers anyway?
absolutely stupid rule!

Laz
x

I found the slightly more expensive healthy bread lasts 3 times longer than the cheepie bread. Now I do homemade most of the time. Use the end of the bread before its bad for french toast or baking crumbs. I usually do the last third of the loaf for french toast and freeze them for a quick snack instead of an expensive individually wrapped granola bar or something. Pancakes are pretty portable if wrapped with peanut butter in the middle and frozen.

I'm into healthy organics and boy is it expensive. I focus the money where the produce is in season. Then on meats. Then I get grains and a few misc but pretty much nothing processed. Replace store bought with home grown. Sprouts are a fast and cheap way of gardening your own salad and you just need a few inches of windowsill and a couple of days.

Things I make or do...
chocolate syrup
granola
yogurt
ice cream (not a money saver unless you consider that homemade produces a luxury quality ice cream versus the cheap watery junk at the store)
laundry soap
mouthwash
toothpaste
no Pepsi, use juice and seltzer or tonic water
canned frozen juice or the large jugs were going bad before they were finished so it makes more sense to get juice boxes. Keep the foil packs for reused sewing projects. They will become my shopping bags.
cut out empty calorie items, fast food, high sugar snacks, soda, they cost a lot and leave you hungry very quickly causing you to overeat
old fashioned bar soap and shaving brush. Went through 2-3 cans of shave cream at $2.50 ea per month. Bar of soap is about a dollar and it lasts for nearly six months. I have made my soap but it doesn't seem to be a money saver. Dries out skin less too.
stop getting wipes for everything, use rags, don't buy rags, use old socks or cut up tshirts
no more store bought cleaners, vinegar, ammonia, table salt, bleach, borax, or baking soda cover it all. I do like Ajax and Brillo pads.
well water makes wash cloths slimy so I have to use poof scrubbers. I get the multipack at the dollar store and reassemble one into three smaller ones or use left over toile from sewing or produce.
Microwave dish sponges to sanitize and reuse.
reuse jars from food rather than buy more canning jars, storage only, canning requires the correct jars
tried a year of no new items purchased. Clothes and most house items were thrift. Forgot when the year was and never stopped. Some items must be new, either for sanitary reasons or you can't find them at the thrift.
I use Method dish soap. Expensive but I go through less because it is concentrated and does good with my well water and isn't contaminating my ground water.
Take the time to compare prices of bulk and non bulk. They don't make sense so you have to know your grocery store.
Test your gas milage. See if your vehicle does better on the cost per mile. My car is supposed to be best on low grade according to the manual but I get most bang for my buck with medium. I also figured that when the prices fluctuate, when low is only ten cents cheaper than medium, it starts to move in favor of low.
Drive during off peak hours. Get into hyper miles. Don't carry excess weight in the car.
Keep things in good working order, plumbing leaks, water well pressure, car maintenance, your own health. Weather proof the old house. Then do it again. I keep saving more money every time I add more weather resistance through little things like door strips, and caulking the outside.
Don't do stupid financial blunders, buy here pay here, easy financing, credit cards, cash advance. Even my dentist is trying to get me to take the easy money and get into a bad interest deal. Wait til you can afford it.
Trade with others for goods and labor.
Buy quality where it counts. I spend big money on bed sheets. I have one good bed spread for show and the rest are old or quilts from all reclaimed fabric. I have sheets with patches on them. Sewing is a huge money saver even if you only learn to sew a button back on.
Don't worry about what others think. Worry about what makes you happy. I don't spend money at the hair salon. I do my own manicure. I don't keep up with the Jones' in any way. Clothing is classic or simple styles that will not be out of season in a month.
I have been slowly moving my kitchen to permanent items. When it is time to replace something I usually look for something that is industrial, professional, heavy duty, or made for a lifetime. The grease splatter screen at the dollar store is nice but I replaced it every six months or more. I got a William Sonoma that I will never replace.
dry clothes outside. Don't iron unless it is important. Wrinkles from clothespins are a badge of honor to display your love of the earth. (or I just don't like to iron.)

Quote:
I found my 13 yo a beautiful pair of black slacks for her chorus concert that I *KNOW* cost $50 new for the bargain price of $4 at a local thriftshop. Gorgeous on her and gorgeous on my wallet. Used to wear the same brand when I did hair full time and I was shocked at how NEW they were and $4! I did the happy dance on that buy. Also got a great full set of glasses for my kitchen for $3! BoooYAH!
big_smile.png

Life has a funny way of preparing you for what you need to know. My mom raised me and siblings on a limited budget, seems like life preparation although I didn't see it that way at the time..
For much of my 10 years of marriage, money was not an issue. However, after the divorce I found myself a spoiled middle class SHM with no work experience and 3 mouths to feed! Boy, did I quickly remember mom's lessons! Luckily cooking and crafts were my "hobbies" and serve me well now. I do occasionally eat out, treat for me and kids, but much less than before.
We have learned how to garden (still very new at it), make laundry/dishwasher detergents/cleaners etc. I have always been a no med girl, so we don't spend money on cold meds/rash creams/ointments. Most of my clothes and household items are from thrift stores or friends.
Cable was a luxury that I deemed unnecessary, and a new digital tv the same, so no tv for us.. (just heard about Weiner 2 days ago, don't think I missed anything worthwhile..) We do splurge on Netflix, I can afford jsut $10 a month for unlimited online movies and boys have I-phones from dad so they watch lots. Seems worth it to get about 50 movies/documentaries and once a week we have family dinner and a movie in the comfort of our own home.
So for the past 5 years of single life, I have been debt free. Although last year I bought my first home and put college education on a credit card, the first time homebuyer refund paid off the card already! So my home is my only debt, and living expenses are low.
These small steps feel so empowering, and I am proud to show my boys that money is not all its cracked up to be. Letting them see how both sides live is a fantastic opportunity for them. Their dad is still Very comfortable and spends and wastes unbelievably, so I really like being the most frugal and penny-pinching one to show them it can be done.
I had worked up to 4 part-time jobs, but realized it wasn't worth the gas/time spent getting there and back to only make an extra $100 per month, so started working for myself. Its slow building, but very rewarding and best of all, I make my own hours and can still supervise these young men when needed. And boy, do adolescent boys NEED it!!
lol.png

btw the homemade laundry soap and softener keeps my laundry from being stiff and scratchy, and line dried clothes smell so wonderful. That smell just cannot compare to the chemical fragrances that are available at stores!
So over the next few years the plan is to get fully off the grid and self sufficient, the turkeys, chickens, ducks are a beginning. Goats would be great, but I have been so busy that I had to sell them to someone who had time to work with them. Now, we get raw goats milk from a local lady once a week. Learning to hunt and dress animals myself is on the agenda as well! Local butchers give me funny looks when I say I want the bones, organs and extra fat.. Come on! thats food too!
Grocery shopping for me is very rare, as I have a deep freeze full and tons of staples on hand. Not going keeps me from purchasing those darn potato chips that call my name! But boys and I have learned to cook and keep on hand items for making the exotic ethnic foods we love, but don't want to drive an hour and pay an arm and leg for!
Well enough rambling from me, I am absolutely loving this thread!

I havent read the whole thread...really need to get something done here! I have been living this way for our whole marriage! First because we had to and now because I want to! The only problem that I have is that my family would certainly rather be ultimate consumers! I actually cannot wait until my adult "children" move out and see what it costs to live the way they want to! At least I will only have DH to deal with then!
I am so jealous of those of you that have a spouse that sees eye to eye on this! Sometimes I think it would just be easier to stop growing my own food, move to town, get a condo, have no animals (or responsibilities) and buy all my stuff brand new at the store...yeah, it would be LOTS easier--but I sure wouldnt be happier! (now to work on DH)
roll.png
What are the chances ya think? It's already been 27 years....
th.gif
Terri O

With three children ages 3 - 16, making our own bread saves on the grocery bill. For daily bread, I use an easy artisan bread recipe I found in Mother Earth News; it requires no kneading. Driving our vehicles long past paying them off is another money saving strategy. We splurged on our home, 1/2 an acre on the lake, but find we still save by "stay-cationing." Gardens, chickens, and the lake make us very happy to stay at home rather than spending money traveling.

I pay for everything on a credit card, with the cash back reward program, then pay off the entire bill each month as soon as i get it. They pay me to use the card! Another plus is that it helps me keep a good credit score.

I'm so IMPRESSED with what you've done! GREAT JOB!!! Would you be open to sharing your homemade laundry soap recipe? I'm moving to as much of a chemical free and inexpensive environment as I can. I'm tired of all the consumerism. I was married and employed for years and in a high-end lifestyle. Divorced, quit my job, and married a retired fireman. I've determined that you truly CAN'T buy happiness! I'm not quite ready to give up my cable, internet or cell phone though. But kudos to those who are! Finally have my chickens laying, getting ready to build a simple composter from pallets, and would love to try growing my own veggies next year! Most of my "chemicals" in my house have been replaced with vinegar. We also are tiling the entire house (getting rid of carpets) ourselves (about 1/3 done so far) to get rid of dust and other issues. Just healthier overall! We're out of debt now (except for 8 years left on the mortgage). We DO have two more kids getting ready to go to college in the next couple of years - but I'm already preaching SCHOLARSHIPS, and STUDENT LOANS. They're also prepared to pay their own insurance, gas and upkeep on any vehicles. My son (high school senior next year) is about to finally get his driver's license and has had a job for 9 months in preparation. We're selling him our oldest vehicle - inexpensively, but still wanted it to "hurt" a little as all major purchases should!

Our home is kind of a disaster area right now due to all the "changes" - and it really bugs my mother... - but I see where we're going and I LOVE it!

Quote:

Klmclan- thanks! sounds like you are on your way to a life you will love, congrats. I would love to get rid of carpets in my house also, soon I hope.
the laundry soap recipe I use is on sufficientself site (link at bottom of page) I guess its a sister site of BYC. Lots of wonderful hints and frugal lifestyle tips.
Basically its washing soda, borax and grated soap, which I had been using powdered for years, but this liquid recipe is fantastic and in my HE washer works well even with cold water. Cleaning with baking soda and vinegar gets everything so clean, I love it and the price is great! I
And just remembered this too. Free movies are available all over the internet, one of my faves is top documentaries. Idk if I can link to it but its easy to search.
Getting rid of the internet is going to be hardest on me going off grid. thankfully thats a few years away still. The cell phone I really want to get rid of, but since that is how I get business I really have to keep that darn radiation device..
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom