Just curious who else is living super frugal

Instead of special trips, I wait until there's a bunch o' errands and do one big loop... Really reduces on the gas.

Check the grocery store flyers and buy the best loss-leaders in bulk (i.e. the stuff they advertise to get you into the store). Coupon, coupon, coupon.

My biggest cost saver has been shopping for produce at Hispanic Markets (and some dairy... it can be less expensive for cheese and cream). I was pleasantly surprised to find the quality of produce -- although not polished and waxed -- to be better than your local supermarket and far fresher because it's not warehoused. And if they have a sales day, the deals are unbelievable. A lot of stuff is 3 lbs or so for $.99 It is not unusual to spend under $20 and come out with 27 lbs. of groceries. We're spending less and eating extremely well.

Gave up all but basic cable... TV is such a time suck. For movies, $1 at RedBox is pretty neat.

Give blood! Besides the fact that only 1% of the community donates to benefit all, United Blood Services gives out some pretty neat perks.... Movie tickets, show tickets, food coupons. It's a cheap way to get a freebie date night AND you get all the juice and cookies you can eat when you donate. (I wish somebody would come up with a mani/pedi perk...they'd have half the population spilling into their doors for that!)

- - -

DH didn't realize how much money was leaking until I had him write down EVERY TIME he opened his wallet what was purchased. Amazing.... He wasn't aware how much income was going out as all his receipts were fairly small, but the multiples of small made for a substantial dent.

- - -

Right off the top before I start writing bills I take 10% out of the net deposit. This amount gets applied to one of the credit card bills (we have a bit o' debt that way) to pay down the balance IN ADDITION to what we'd normally pay. Our pay schedules in weekly and bi-monthly, so it really starts to add up fast to reducing the debt.

Pay cash whenever possible. Evaluate "Do you want it; do you need it; must you have it to survive; can you do it cheaper or another way." If low on cash and it's not vital, do without.

Last edited:
This thread is great.. I don't feel as alone in the world anymore and there are FANTASTIC people in the world! Big Hugs to you all. I've been trying to be more frugal for a while now. We rent our house from a friend, and we literally pay HALF of what most folks pay here. They are wonderful people who love us and our kids. I will be grateful forever to them. I would like to own my own home one day, but this is as close as we can get what with the freedom they give us. We can keep chickens, and we can plant whatever we want as long as its legal. Its our house, he just owns it.

My Dad doesn't understand why I like doing things the hard way, but he is supportive of it. I'm just his hippie daughter. Geuss he figures it could be worse
tongue.png

How we are frugal:
Coupons.. we have people save them for us, and I'll trade coupons with friends. Hit the sales when they happen.
Make my own laundry detergent.
Wait for specials at soap.com for 7th gen dish soap, then buy by the case.
Make my own granola for kids breakfast
School papers saved, then cut into fourths= a notepad at no cost and reuses paper before its recycled
Sodastream for the kids as a treat
Make my own soap (been bartering soap for eggs til the girls start laying)
A small garden
Thrift stores for what we can
Handmedowns for the girls
and yes I go to starbucks, BUT I get gift cards at work, registered one and now am a "Gold Star" so i get discount. AND I only use gift cards I recieve. Its a treat when I go grocery shopping. Being gold star just makes those gift cards last longer.
I buy 50lb bags of baking soda at the feed store to clean with and make my detergent with.WAY cheaper that way.

I wash my hair with baking soda using the unpoo method("wash" with baking soda in water, rinse with apple cider vinegar and water with a drop or two of essential oil)
I use a moon cup instead of disposables like pads and tampons.( Big savings here, but you have to be a comfortable with yourself kind of girl)
Netflix, and cut our satellite bill waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, but we are considering suspending satellite service. Would love to get a digital antennae but everything we are reading says we wont pick up anything.
Clothesline, summer or winter... doesn't matter. We actually used our clothesline exclusively for two years when the dryer broke. Now we only use the dryer for socks/underwear and rags. BUT this frees up my time, because the kids will do those loads now.
I'm constantly checking coupon blogs for good deals on Amazon, etc. (At least twice a week when having a cup of coffee)

I'm still working on things, my biggest being getting people to UNPLUG!!! Just like finding ways to save $. Bought my truck, and it made me go a little nuts. Scared to death of it being repo'd so went frugal and I'll never look back. I'm glad we did it now just for what it taught me. Like I'll NEVER get a car loan again if I can help it. DH is saving for a motorcycle as his car has no payment. He'll get a loan for credit purposes only but we'd like to have half saved up. USE A CREDIT UNION!! They cut a year off the term on my truck, by cutting my % way down. Took $5 a month off payment. I overpay my carpayment everymonth. We buy stuff on the credit card just to keep it, but pay off ASAP.

LOL!! My kids call me the Crazy Chicken Lady too! Personally, I call myself "Chicky Momma"!

Thanks for the links and searches. I will probably never get rid of my internet as this is where I get so many of my money saving pieces of info - even medical. I think it totally pays for itself. As for the cell phone - I'll keep it too. We rid ourselves of the land line, and I've dropped some of our minutes when I found that we NEVER exceeded the next lower amount. Some day I'll probably drop the unlimited text - but I keep that luxury right now for the kids. Not that I don't use it too - but I don't need unlimited! I do make my 17 year old pay the $30/mo for his smart phone internet access (he paid for the phone himself!).

Next - a clothes line! We live in the desert (El Paso) - why waste this wonderful dry heat!

One more question to anyone.... I've poked around both solar and wind power sites. It all looks not only cost prohibitive but like you'd never recoup the initial outlay! The expensive part seems to be in the actual connectivity to your home and any storage of excess. I'd be interested to hear anyone's story(ies) and experiences regarding reduction of these costs!

Quote:

it surprises me how many of you say you stopped using the dryer - to me, a dryer has always been something you might have and use in "emergencies" like it's the middle of winter and you need your uniform for the morning and it's still soaking wet. And I'm not from a nice hot climate like some of you, here in the UK it likes to rain. Is it normal over there to use a dryer for every load? It's certainly not abnormal here to not have one . I haven't had one since I left home nearly 15 years ago.

With homemade detergent, the appliance clerk at Sears told me NOT to use them for my new HE washer. So I quit making them and went to HE approved detergents. She said the baking soda and borax can shorten the life of the washer's rubber installations, corrode the metal compontents (I got a stainless steel drum) and warranty would be void if I use homemade detergents.

I use the cold water Tide or similar product detergents. They seem to work pretty good!

'Is it normal over there to use a dryer for every load?'

~with the typical American being very instant gratification centered, yes I think it is. Most homes don't have lines to dry clothes on and many people who hear that I dry that way ask "Why? Why don't you just use your dryer? If it heats the house, just turn on the air!"
I do use it in colder months which is often more than half the year here but still line dry some things in the house during winter.

I hadn't heard about homemade laundry soap being bad for HE, but as I am sceptical in most situations, would probably think its just a ploy by the detergent companies to not lose customers. esp when the HE detergents are so expensive! But I will look more into it, don't want to shorten the life of my washer for sure.

Perfectly safe for an HE machine as told by an appliance expert, not a store clerk who gets his information from the mega-corp soap manufacturers.

Laundry Soap

2 cups Castile Bar Soap (or one Dr. Bronners bar grated with a cheese grater)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1/4 cup OxyClean

Mix it all together into a bumpy, granular mix.
Use 1T for a light load.
Use 2T for a large or dirty load.

Laundry Rinse

1 gal white vinegar
25-30 drops essential oil - optional
We’re currently using “gardenia.” Mmmmm. Straight vinegar works just fine though.
Use 1/4 c in the rinse cycle. The vinegar clears the last bit of soap remaining on all your clothes and reduces static.

Source: modcottage.com

Yes... for 80% of the country I'd guess. I could be wrong..but I started to say 95% but then brought it down because I'm sure there are plenty out there that do so by necessity if nothing else. We are truly a "use, use, use" society here. Trying to break out of it!

Quote:

I don't know anything about OxyClean...is it considered "natural" if not organic? Or is it a chemical? If it's chemical, does anyone have an alternative? I'm trying to avoid chemicals if at all possible - for general reasons but also because I have an auto-immune issue (Lupus) and I think it's totally related to chemicals! Would love to get off meds and get rid of it!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom