Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
If you buy on saturday and in the quantities they want you can get bread for 60 cents a loaf, otherwise it's 69 cents under the discounted number of units, you can buy as many multiple sale quantities.

We don't have any place around here that sells bread that cheap...of course we live in the sticks, the closest town is 11 miles away and it's small & very limited in stores, the next biggest town is 23 miles away. Besides, even if I could buy bread that inexpensively, I think what I make is better for us and I really enjoy doing it. There's a sense of satisfaction in knowing if we want fresh bread, I can make it with ingredients we always have on hand.

Good grief folks. You forget that I'm in MAINE!!! A good loaf of bread, discounted up here is still about $1.89! That's the hearty, multi grain bread with all the "sticks and twigs" in it (as some folks describe bread that has visible bits of grain in it) The cheap, fluffy stuff goes for about $1/loaf or buy 3, get one free.

I learned that folks in the southern parts of Europe consume olive oil like we do butter. We butter our bread, and they olive oil it! My neighbor was from a province in Switzerland near Italy's border, and when I attended his dinner parties, I was served stale french bread and an oliveoil based dip. A number of spices were soaked in olive oil so that the oil would pick up their flavors – dipping stale french bread in it came out quite tasty. Anyway, that is one posible use for stale bread.

Hi LindaB,

If you haven't tried making bread before, it's not really hard. Just like a lot of things, it takes a bit of patience and practice. You don't have to have any exotic ingredients, a lot of things are made from just flour, yeast, salt, sugar and some form of fat like oil. One of the more helpful websites I've used for tips and recipes is King Arthur's. They have a lot of tutorials and really explain how things work as well as support for trouble-shooting. And even though some of their recipes use things they want you to buy in their online store, you can use what you have or make up something similar without buying their stuff. And of course, youtube has a lot of things about baking techniques on it.

Here's the KA link if you want to check it out:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

It's fine to use King Author's Tutorial but....be sure to use Hudson Cream flour!!!
thumbsup.gif

It's fine to use King Author's Tutorial but....be sure to use Hudson Cream flour!!!
thumbsup.gif

Sorry, but I think the Hungarian High Altitude is the best.

I haven't seen either of those brands around here (but then again, I am in the middle of nowhere FL)...I just usually use Gold Medal, either the all-purpose or their bread flour, whichever is called for.

We went with solar heat and solar domestic hot water. We were building at the time so we chose that instead of a furnace. Saves a ton of money. You can also heat sheds and rooms with a pop can solar furnace you can build for about $20 to supplement heat. It would be a great homeschool project for the kids!

Back
Top Bottom