Just curious who else is living super frugal

Yup, our house is in a terrible state, we're doing it up ourselves to save money. I just ate the last three bananas in the house so my mother & sister just ran out to get some basics, rice, lentils etc.. And I just finally managed to get myself a jumper - You know you're desperate when you go out in rugby shorts, a pyjama top, a wooly hat and a pair of boots two sizes too small. :lol:

Last edited:
Hubby and I are embarking on a new chapter of our lives. After sharing our home in one fashion or an other, (including raising grand kids) for 35 years, we are finally, officially, empty nesters. This will entail a whole new mind set in the kitchen. My goal: cut back, utilize everything, clean the "dead wood" out of the pantry and freezers. Meals can be as simple as a garden salad, with a few fresh strawberries (from the garden) some cheese, a bit of left over sliced meat, and a vinigarette dressing. Have to remember the bread to keep hubby's BS from bottoming out.

Hubby and I are embarking on a new chapter of our lives. After sharing our home in one fashion or an other, (including raising grand kids) for 35 years, we are finally, officially, empty nesters. This will entail a whole new mind set in the kitchen. My goal: cut back, utilize everything, clean the "dead wood" out of the pantry and freezers. Meals can be as simple as a garden salad, with a few fresh strawberries (from the garden) some cheese, a bit of left over sliced meat, and a vinigarette dressing. Have to remember the bread to keep hubby's BS from bottoming out.
Unless you are into exhibition, and if you haven't already done, you might consider crossing your breeds for hybrid vigor.The benefits are many, for the birds' health and overall well being. The offspring will be a good bit larger (in the first generation) and the amount of feed should remain static...That was our findings at any rate.

Good luck and enjoy some peace and quiet!!!

ETA: Frequently egg production will raise in the F1 pullets.

Last edited:
Congrats Lazy Gardener; I'm a couple of years away from that point but looking forward to it. I came from a big family and it was challenge when we married to learn to cook for just two. We were married 14 years before we had our first child so I got pretty good at cooking for two. I thought it was worth it to invest in a few small pie pans, casserole dishes for two, etc. That way you can make just enough for two or make your regular recipe and divide it between two pans and freeze one right away. My husband is easy to please as far as food goes, but he will eat until the pan is empty. Better for both our waistlines to make just enough for two servings.

Congrats now quick fill those extra rooms up with sumthin so no one can come back......
gig.gif

just kidding....

deb

LG--Wow! House all to yourselves, what ever shall you do?
I'm sure we'll think of something.
wink.png

Congrats now quick fill those extra rooms up with sumthin so no one can come back......
gig.gif

just kidding....

deb
Yep. We gotta clean out all the clutter that has already accumulated, then, we each get our own cave. Not kidding.

Or mix italian sausage with your burger meat..... but cook well.

Im due to make SOS.... soon. Its normally chipped beef and a cream sauce over toast.... "Stuff"On a Shingle.

But if you have a lot to feed a pound or more of hamburger a can of mushroom soup a can of Veg all and you have enough to feed an army.

Brown the hamburger then throw in diced onions and cook till they are translucent. Salt pepper garlic is all you need. Drain off the fat. Then add a can of vegall.... stirr it up till its warm...... then a can of Cream soup of choice. I like cream of mushroom but you could use cream of potato or cream of celery or even cream of chciken.

then add just enough water to get the soup to melt down into the meat. (thats the cream sauce)

I toast up Sour dough bread and after its toasted I slice it into finger manageable strips.... Makes it easier to cut with a fork too.

I dont have a garden but you could easily substitute fresh carrots peas and potatoes.... about two cups worth.... then make a cream sauce or Bechemel or Gravy with the drippins.

served over toast its very carb heavy and has stick to your ribs fat for growing boys and Men that work hard.

contrary to popular belief animal fat is very good for you in moderation. Just like anything else. But fat can be converted to energy just like sugar can... It just takes longer.

deb

We use to get @#$@ on a single when I was in the service .... loved it! I am going to take a sentimental journey and try your recipe. It looks easy enough even for me ... thanks perchie!

Quote:
I actually prefer it without the vegall.... I just used that as an extender if I have to feed more than three people.... Though I am a Musroom fan so every once and a while I will throw in a half a tub of sliced mushrooms when sauteing everything.... Get those cooked very well before putting any liquid in or they will absorb too much liquid and loose their flavor.

So SOS with mushrooms.

Saute mushrooms in a little bacon fat or butter first.... Get em really brown. Add in the onions till they are translucend THEn add in the meat season with salt and pepper... Then add in the soup.

deb

Back
Top Bottom