Just curious who else is living super frugal

Are you a type I or a type II??? He's an atypical type I. Total pancreatectomy. Insulin pump. So, he needs those carbs and fats to keep him on an even keel. Even something as simple as increased activity level (walking, riding lawn mower, etc.) will send him into a low BS if he doesn't compensate by shutting off his pump or eating more carbs.
Often better to stay with what is working.

Have a friend that is type I and do have a pretty good understanding of insulin. I was type 2 when prego, now just sensitive to carbs and insulin, on that road to type 2 diabetes. My sugar levels swing wildly based on carb intake and my insulin release is overreactive. I can keep BS level by eating a regimented diet and thereby keep the beast under control. If I follow this, I should be able to stall the progress to full blown type 2.

The night before the c-section for my second child, I took my 50u dose. By late morning I was having trouble staying awake after the surgery. I just wanted to sleep. Then EUREKA!!! OMG!!! rang for a nurse, and they were running like crazy getting BS testing and a glass of oj..... BS measured 40!

For your DH, he has no nsulin of is own. He is totally dependent on his pump and very carefully monitoring and regulating balance between carbs and exercise. (Have a friend with type 1. ) Typically low fat diet is recommended, and I have trouble with this. To me, fat is a great energy work around, BUT it takes more monitoring, planning , and measuring. Have yet to meet a nutritionist or endocrinologist that will talk fats instead of carbs--just are not taught that. So.... your hubby will need to do what he does know......and MAYBE investigate the use of fats and retrain his body to use them.

When I was prego I met with nutritionist, then tossed everything in the trash. Followed the low carb recommendations of Dr Atkins ( the diet) and kept my BS in check with a little insulin. Overall , by reading Dr Atkins book, I was able to keep my BS steady and with lots of management generally able to keep BS in normal levels.

This all food for thought. Since what your DH is doing is working, maybe better not to upset the apple cart.
hugs.gif

PS The reason children should not have cows milk before 1 year, is that there is a protein in cow milk that is VERY similar to a protein in the Ilets of Langerhan..... an allergic response to cows milk can trigger an immune response to attack the insulin producing cells. I also learned that breast fed babies tend to ave nearly perfect adult tooth align ment---- it is the bottle feds that need braces!!!! sheesh, if I had only known.

more than you wanted to know? lol

Edited for clarification--- Dr Atkins is clear that during pregnancy dieting for weight loss is NOT to be done. Eat a protein, vegie,/fruit, fats diet to maintain weight. I gained a lot and the babies were huge just as the doc predicted before I got pregnant. Lost about 15 lbs the last month. Baby was getting bigger!! Hence c-sections. I dont miss being pregnant. lol

Last edited:
I also learned that breast fed babies tend to ave nearly perfect adult tooth alignment---- it is the bottle feds that need braces.
While I agree that bottles and pacifiers can make kids more prone to having orthodontic issues, breast feeding does not prevent the problem. Neither of my 2 kids ever touched a bottle or pacifier. One got through the whole tooth thing with minimal issues. The other had a whole mouth full of crooked. Definitely needed braces. Neither one were thumb suckers.

While there are exceptions, I read a whole article by an ortho who is totally for breast feeding to mitigate the braces situation. I have one that might not need braces and one, well, he might need surgery and braces.... totally genetic anomaly. Breast feeding would not have improved the situation for the latter child. He still cant speak correctly...unless he wants to!!
barnie.gif

While there are exceptions, I read a whole article by an ortho who is totally for breast feeding to mitigate the braces situation. I have one that might not need braces and one, well, he might need surgery and braces.... totally genetic anomaly.  Breast feeding would not have improved the situation for the latter child. He still cant speak correctly...unless he wants to!! :barnie

I was bottle fed and the majority of my teeth came in rotten. For whatever that is worth, the adult canines dropped in perfectly straight.

You all were briefly discussing mushrooms back in June- I've just heard of folks putting mushroom powder.... in their coffee! Anyone try this? I'm not big on mushrooms but have had a mushroom tea before that tasted similar to coffee, in a matter of speaking.

Mushroom are a well documented cancer fighter--10 g a day reduced breast cancer 40% in the study quoted. I wont mess with my coffee.
smack.gif
LOL

How do you make a mushroom tea??

Have almost eliminated using rice because of the relative high levels of arsenic---white rice lower levels than brown because the outer covering has the most concentration, of course. Couldnt resist a free bag last week though.....

Mushroom are a well documented cancer fighter--10 g a day reduced breast cancer 40% in the study quoted.  I wont mess with my coffee. :smack  LOL

How do you make a mushroom tea??

Have almost eliminated using rice because of the relative high levels of arsenic---white rice lower levels than brown because the outer covering has the most concentration, of course.  Couldnt resist a free bag last week though.....

Well I guess mushroom tea is made by smashing up dried mushrooms, placing them in a good cloth bag or likeness-tea bag and doing the same thing you would with any other tea. Steep in hot water for 5 mins or however long you like.

Back
Top Bottom