Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
Well, if you found it on the WEB it must be true !
wink.png

Seriously, Organic farming as you noted, is a METHOD of farming. When it says genetically modified organisms, it is referring to the use of them as part of the farming method, not the use of seeds. It could mean genetically modified fertilizers or pesticides.

This is from the free wiki:
Organic farming is a form of agriculture that relies on techniques such as crop rotation, green manure, compost and biological pest control. Organic farming uses fertilizers and pesticides but excludes or strictly limits the use of manufactured (synthetic) fertilizers, pesticides (which include herbicides, insecticides and fungicides), plant growth regulators such as hormones, livestock antibiotics, food additives, genetically modified organisms,[1] human sewage sludge, and nanomaterials.[2]

I would appreciate anyone who has a link to an official USDA source.

So, again, what we're discussing is the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law.

I swear, I didn't know hairs could be split so thin!!!

But, all in all, I believe we all agree that we want a safe food supply, and most agree that organic is good and GMO is only good for Monsanto (who is evil).

Erinszoo, I am sorry about your father. I'm sure the stress of his condition wasn't helped by the photo of the rats with tumors. Our prayers go to him and you.
hugs.gif

Well, if you found it on the WEB it must be true !
wink.png

Seriously, Organic farming as you noted, is a METHOD of farming. When it says genetically modified organisms, it is referring to the use of them as part of the farming method, not the use of seeds. It could mean genetically modified fertilizers or pesticides.
You are repeating disinformation. Unless you can provide me with a link to an official USDA site that states organic food can be gmo. Where is it? [I'm a grown man, I will admit if I am wrong.]

Here is a Time magazine article that discusses GMO contamination in the organic food chain but that says that organic must not use gmo.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1599110,00.html

Think about it. If you were an "official" who was going to approve GMO uses for the masses wouldn't you want an out to protect your own family? Organic is that out.

Last edited:
WHAT IS THE MAJOR MALFUNCTION HERE, GUYS???

Are you all un-aware that we are all AGAINST GMOs?

There just isn't anything to argue about!

Shake hands and move on, O.K.?

Is it possible we're having a miscommunication as to "Organic" (n., not adj.) v. "raised organically"?

Either way, yes, the less adulterated the food, the better be it farming or processing.

How did we get so off-track from frugality?

Yeah, we didn't get ahold of it, we made it ourselves!

After the tests, our #1 suspect is not the hay we've been feeding the sheep, and thus their manure. Testing showed sheep manure had no effect on the sprouts, other than positive. Our new suspect is actually the straw we've been using for bedding, both for sheep and chickens!

Raised bed #2 showed damage and limited sprouting on the test. This was a brand new bed filled with tree leaves composted with litter from the chicken house. We use the 'deep litter' method in there. 6 inches of straw, in our climate, with a little diatomaceous earth, stays dry and odor free for a long time. We shovel it out, mix it with leaves, wet it down good, and let it compost. Same with the sheep bedding. Once wet, it begins to heat up, due to bacterial action (you can see steam on cold mornings) and in a few months it has changed considerably!

The only thing that was the same in the 2 beds was straw! Chickens never ate the hay, nor did the sheep eat the chicken feed. Ergo; straw must be the culprit. Since straw is the by-product of either wheat or oat production, whoever grew it must have been using those herbicides on his crops. I can't test the straw directly, only the compost made from it, so that's a long time to wait to check a product. To be safe, we will be using alternative products from now on, or not composting it.

We do have a sawmill about a mile from us. They cut lumber from Douglas Fir trees only. They have a small mountain of sawdust that they sell for a few bucks a pickup load, and they load it for you. I'm thinking of composting some of that. It's not the recycled, toxic stuff you mentioned, so it should be O.K.

Boy, what I'd give to have grazing land like you have, but then, I'm lucky to have what I have!
thumbsup.gif

Never really thought about this, but one year I was tired of shoveling mulch into my veggie beds and decided to shortcut by using flakes of straw instead. And you know what? Nary a weed popped up. I just thought it was because I had laid it on extra thick and didn't even consider it could've been something sprayed on the straw itself.

After a season of heavy watering, we tilled it under. Of course, it was in the bed that didn't have seeds sprouting but get planted with seedlings, so don't know if the straw was contaminated with herbicides or not. Our seed beds were raised and didn't need mulching, unlike the long bed of tomatoes.

I will keep this in mind for future crops.

(this was the year we discovered that 32 tomato plants for two people was a bit overkill.....we about drowned in salsa and sauce)

Last edited:
Yes, organic food is non-GMO, unless contaminated (i.e. wind blew in some seeds that were GMO).

However, there has been a controversy lately where some food items that were supposed to be organic had some GMO in them, and thus some organic brands are better than others I hear.

I buy organic soy and corn for this reason, to avoid GMO soy and corn.

Last edited:
WHAT IS THE MAJOR MALFUNCTION HERE, GUYS???

Are you all un-aware that we are all AGAINST GMOs?

There just isn't anything to argue about!

Shake hands and move on, O.K.?

Speak for yourself, for me the jury's still out. Not enough scientific evidence either way for me to decide.

Just because someone in the New York Times or other mag prints an article, doesn't make it so. And then there are unscrupulous scientists who are self serving and would tell us anything. And if it's on the web, well, that's not trustworthy either.

But, still eating healthy is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom