Just curious who else is living super frugal

what
Any ideas to save on feeding four big dogs. We started with one dog but over the last 10 years have acquired four more that stayed. We go through 50 pds of dog food a week. I usually buy the store brand but it is still $20-25 a bag. I feed leftovers (we seldom have any) and anything that is over the hill.(they eat old raw fruits & veggies and love em ) I chose to quit work and stay home with the kids this past year and am looking for ways to reduce expenses. We are gardening, canning, baking, cooking from scratch,and have a freezer full of wild game. I have found lots of great ideas on cutting back for the people, but not the pets. How do others save here?
about feeding the dogs the game meat? they should be ok on that as primary food?

what
Quote: Since we raise ducks, rabbits chickens and goats, the dogs get much of what would normally be wasted. They eat goat heads, hooves, chicken, duck and rabbit feet and heads, ear and offal. The only thing we don't give them is the intestines. The Airedale just finished a whole (skin on) young bunny last night (it had escaped and himself had to shoot it, so I didn't want to eat it myself, too picky!)

The dogs have kibbles available, but prefer the raw meat and do well on it. When we run out, we buy chicken thighs as a supplement and also turkey. They eat the bones too and they have never been healthier. However, it is a controversial diet - with vets in both corners so to speak. Some veterinarians approve, others do not.

Last edited:
what
Any ideas to save on feeding four big dogs. We started with one dog but over the last 10 years have acquired four more that stayed. We go through 50 pds of dog food a week. I usually buy the store brand but it is still $20-25 a bag. I feed leftovers (we seldom have any) and anything that is over the hill.(they eat old raw fruits

about feeding the dogs the game meat? they should be ok on that as primary food?

Since we raise ducks, rabbits chickens and goats, the dogs get much of what would normally be wasted. They eat goat heads, hooves, chicken, duck and rabbit feet and heads, ear and offal. The only thing we don't give them is the intestines. The Airedale just finished a whole (skin on) young bunny last night (it had escaped and himself had to shoot it, so I didn't want to eat it myself, too picky!)

The dogs have kibbles available, but prefer the raw meat and do well on it. When we run out, we buy chicken thighs as a supplement and also turkey. They eat the bones too and they have never been healthier. However, it is a controversial diet - with vets in both corners so to speak. Some veterinarians approve, others do not.
I look at that diet as "Paleo" for dogs. :D Not endorsing it one way or the other it just fits.

I am on mat leave and have been since December 2012... Mat leave in Canada is only something like 65% of your wages and we took a cut of 700.00 per month. On top of all of the other crazy bills and financial obligations like child support (ex left him, he aint no deadbeat!!!), the loan to buy this place, mortgage, utilities etc... I have no idea how we aren't starving to death.

When we need something we always buy used, used anything and everything. If we can't afford to buy it, husband builds, or repairs it. Now that the pigs are going into winter I'm going to have to find cheap pig feed, and can't get it from my old job anymore because of new bio security rules.

We bought some nippers and I started trimming the horses feet myself. I know how exactly their feet should be and can't justify paying someone 170 dollars a session to come do something I can myself.

To cut horse feed costs we asked our neighbor if we could pasture our horses with his cattle, he said no problem thank god. Our pastures are small and they have stopped growing back this season.

We also put my jeep up for sale and plan on putting all of that money on our auto loan we used to consolidate both of our vehicles. Then we'll get the balance stretched out for the same term and that should make us 500.00 a month.

We operate a RV and camper repair/maintenance business. I do as much stuff as I can with the baby while husband is at work, and we do the harder stuff together on the evenings and weekends. He also does mechanic work on the side for aquaintances/friends and that by far has been the best way of earning side cash. I feel guilty because he works fulltime while I'm home with the baby not helping with the money situation at all. But we both agree that daycare is NOT in our son's nor in our best interest and we'll do whatever we can to get past these hard times.

By springtime a few of our loans will be done, one of his kids is now an adult and we are going to try and pay out his ex with a second mortgage (mostly to get the crazy B out of our lives!)

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I think? :-S

Since we raise ducks, rabbits chickens and goats, the dogs get much of what would normally be wasted. They eat goat heads, hooves, chicken, duck and rabbit feet and heads, ear and offal. The only thing we don't give them is the intestines. The Airedale just finished a whole (skin on) young bunny last night (it had escaped and himself had to shoot it, so I didn't want to eat it myself, too picky!)

Oh I completely agree with the raw diet. I wish I could afford to feed my dogs the flesh they were designed to eat! All this crud that goes even in the premium dog food is disgusting. i can't afford premium dog food though, and they are going to eat whatever game my husband can hunt this season. he likes the hunting experience but we don't like the taste lol.

I am loving all the ideas on this thread!! I have been meaning to post much much earlier to thank the original poster and all the participants sharing some great ideas!
I think I have read thru every single one :)
More and more, I think I will be implementing some of the ideas to bring it back to basics. Simple living is what I want.
Anyway, we have 5 dogs. That's really another long story. All various breeds and ages; Lab 12, Chow mix 11, Pit 2, Toy Pom 3, American Eskimo 5.
Usually,they each get dry dog food and split a can (or tub) of wet food between the 4 (Pom gets her own special wet) which equates to 3 or 4 tbs mixed in with water and if they don't get wet, they split a can of french cut greens beans, or cooked carrots and celery or any other veg that I got on sale or grew. They love it.
On occasion, I will make them my own version of wet food using left over chicken, meat, eggs, rice and all the vegetables that I have on hand making them a stew that gets added to their dry food. I think I am STILL spending close to $90 a month though-and this does not include treats/snacks.
Looking forward to seeing more ideas!!

Back
Top Bottom