Just curious who else is living super frugal

How did your cucumbers do Kentucky Mom?  

I have a pantry shelf half full of dill and bread and butter pickles. My family's consensus is, that although they like the dill, they LOVE the bread and butter!
I really liked the suyo long because they stayed sweet.Even if I missed one and it grew strangely, or if I picked them smaller, they were still great tasting.I also grew some straight eight and Boston pickling cucumbers and if I missed either of them, they grew big, fat, and turned yellow. They were so bitter you couldn't eat them, but the chickens loved them.

Last edited:
Occasionally, I'll try an other variety, but plant the Suyo every year. None other comes close to them in comparison. I have a big one sitting on my filing cabinet ripening, and a couple more hanging still on the vine. Will collect seeds for next year. These seeds are so easy to harvest. AND, the monster butter cup squash DID hybridize with my Red Kuri, so I have a 20# bright orange buttercup. If the flesh is as tasty as either of the parents, I have a great squash. Hoping it will breed true next year!!!! Will save ALL the seeds from that one squash, plus the seeds of the volunteer Red Kuri, which may have crossed with the orange buttercup... next year's squash should be quite interesting. (God is good! I never even planted winter squash this year!)

My mother sent me this pattern. BUt as I cant read patterns, maybe some one else can make use of it until I can locate an interpreter!!

DISHCLOTH  pattern

size 8 or 10 needles  (straight or circular needles)

1. Cast on 4 stitches

2. Knit 2, then do 1 yarn over, knit to end of row. Repeat this for each row until you have 43 stitches forming one sign of a triangle.

3. Start your decrease = knit 1, then knit 2 together. Do 1 yarn over. Knit the next 2 stitches together, then knit across the rest of the row.

4. Repeat until you have 4 stitches remaining.

5. Cast off.

* You can buy large cone shaped spools of multicolored yarn at Walmart. Great bargain and you can get many dishcloths out of it. 

Any idea if that works with the cotton? I have a ton of cotton that I got in close out years ago. Had planned on doing double ended crochet {cro-knit} hand towels. Somewhere I have my patterns and hooks.....but if I modify and use it for knit washcloths/hand towels, that would be fast and easy.

Occasionally, I'll try an other variety, but plant the Suyo every year. None other comes close to them in comparison. I have a big one sitting on my filing cabinet ripening, and a couple more hanging still on the vine. Will collect seeds for next year. These seeds are so easy to harvest. AND, the monster butter cup squash DID hybridize with my Red Kuri, so I have a 20# bright orange buttercup. If the flesh is as tasty as either of the parents, I have a great squash. Hoping it will breed true next year!!!! Will save ALL the seeds from that one squash, plus the seeds of the volunteer Red Kuri, which may have crossed with the orange buttercup... next year's squash should be quite interesting. (God is good! I never even planted winter squash this year!)
My summer squash was less than a bumper crop.. ENough to entice us to plant more of the same next year though. All old types, no summer of zucchini. THe lemon squash was a beautiful yellow lemon sized squash with a very very mild squash flavor. Great for dipping on salad dressings raw.

Being further north, and colder, when do you plant your squash?. Planting in June was too late here. THough mayby lack of rain, and a cool summer contributed.

Son wanted to pick the green tomatoes last night-- leaves me with what to do with them . . . .salsa? chutney? looking for low carb and little to no sugar is a challenge. lol

Suggestions??

Son wanted to pick the green tomatoes last night-- leaves me with what to do with them . . . .salsa? chutney? looking for low carb and little to no sugar is a challenge. lol

Suggestions??

can them like red tomatoes
pIckle them
Fried green Tomatoes
freezer can them
chutney Urm.... skip chutney
Jam I saw a recipe for Mok berry jam made with tomaotoes and jello.... you could use sugar free jello
make green spaghetti sauce....

I just got up so I need to dig up my post on the subject... Meee Neeed Coffeeeee.... blink blink

deb

Suggestions??
Canned Green Tomato Salsa

8 lbs Green Tomatoes (16 cups chopped)
6 lg onions-chopped
6 bell peppers-chapped
3 red sweet bells -chopped
6 Jalapeno-seeded & chopped
6 cloves garlic minced
1 cup fresh Cilantro -chopped
1/3 cup salt
1/2 TBS black pepper
3 cups Cider vinegar
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup fresh corn from cob (optional)

Mix all ingredients in large kettle. Heat to boiling.Simmer for 25 minutes
Ladle into hot quart or pint jars, Wipe jar rims & put on lids & caps
Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes-quarts, 10-minutes pints

I make this every year & EVERYONE wants a jar for Christmas. Great on eggs~! Use as dip or garnish tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or quesadillas.

Back
Top Bottom