Just curious who else is living super frugal

My frugal friends--what does one do with the tops of leeks?

I slice them & use them when making stock for soup. If they are tough after cooking just take a slotted spoon & strain them out.You still get the flavor.

Yup There is also flavror in onion peels and other little bits chopped off.... and tossed. I betcha you could throw them all in stock then filter them out with cheese cloth.....

Last edited:
I love having good stuff in my soup-- and I dont mind stringing things like tough leeks. Good for the GI in many ways from fiber to the full benefits of onions.

Hmm I wonder about sauteing them.

Perchie GIrl, yes we waste so much. I tried using hte yellow onion skins to make a wool dye and it was a pale earthy tan tone. Each batch varied from the same mixture. THe first bundle of yarn the darkest, to the last bundle that was the palest. HOnestly I havent had the courage to toss them into the soup pot. lol

@byfarmer , looks good! We have used recycled pallets as well.

Building a new greenhouse for the winter. Attaching it to the south side of the house to help heat the bedrooms. Spent $15. Already have tomato starts from my summer garden rooted. Going to grow zucchini that I can't grow in summer because of the squash bugs. Then lettuce and cabbages. Already have grow lights and make my own compost. I figure I'll easily save $15 on heating costs so it will pay for itself.
That is great! Would love to see pics when you are done
big_smile.png

My frugal friends--what does one do with the tops of leeks?

I like the idea from @wwmicasa1 .
Here are a couple other ideas:
1. Slice them thin like julienne potatoes and dip them in beer batter & deep fry. Offer ranch dressing for dipping sauce.
2. Put some in the bottom of your broiler pan with water when you broil steaks.

I did something some might call super frugal.......I made up a few flyers and left them at Halloween on people's houses that had many pumpkins, Halloween décor, etc. It said something like this:

"Hi, My name is Outpost JWB. I raise chickens and noticed your pumpkins. If you do not compost or reuse your pumpkins, can you please call me? I will pick up any unwanted pumpkins and my chickens can eat them. Phone number________"

So, yesterday morning I get a call from a lady. She is cleaning her yard. I got 10+ pumpkins, some starting to get squishy, several ears of corn, & 4 bales of straw
big_smile.png

I did something some might call super frugal.......I made up a few flyers and left them at Halloween on people's houses that had many pumpkins, Halloween décor, etc. It said something like this:

"Hi, My name is Outpost JWB. I raise chickens and noticed your pumpkins. If you do not compost or reuse your pumpkins, can you please call me? I will pick up any unwanted pumpkins and my chickens can eat them. Phone number________"

So, yesterday morning I get a call from a lady. She is cleaning her yard. I got 10+ pumpkins, some starting to get squishy, several ears of corn, & 4 bales of straw
big_smile.png

Very inventive...way to go!

I did something some might call super frugal.......I made up a few flyers and left them at Halloween on people's houses that had many pumpkins, Halloween décor, etc.   It said something like this:

"Hi,  My name is Outpost JWB.  I raise chickens and noticed your pumpkins.  If you do not compost or reuse your pumpkins, can you please call me?  I will pick up any unwanted pumpkins and my chickens can eat them.   Phone number________"

So, yesterday morning I get a call from a lady.  She is cleaning her yard.  I got 10+ pumpkins, some starting to get squishy, several ears of corn, & 4 bales of straw:D

Great idea!

I had never shopped used. That went first. It started with used furniture or appliances, and then to cars, and now clothes and anything else under the sun. I am desperately trying to get us debt free and I am making all the hard choices right now.

I have taken to shopping at goodwill and consignments stores almost exclusively. No one is getting even sale priced retail this year. I am looking at doing the whole only grocery shopping once a month thing. Not sure I can survive that. I need to cut back how much I drive drastically. These gas prices are killing me. I find my entire way of thinking about money and possessions has changed. I think for the better.

Curious what others are doing. Also curious if anyone else has pulled off the whole grocery shopping once a month.
been doing grocery shopping once a month for years... once a month with one stop for extreme perishables..milk, eggs bread...

Back
Top Bottom