Just curious who else is living super frugal

For the biscuits, I don't use buttermilk very often so I keep buttermilk powder in the fridge, do you think that would work for the biscuits if I reconstituted it with milk?
Of course it will. Don't directions say to just add water? You can also make buttermilk by adding 1 tbs lemon juice to milk and let curdle a few minutes. No problem. I can remember a thousand years ago when I came home for summer break from college, I was dating a guy from NY state. He stayed with us for the weekend and Mama told him where the coffeepot was. Milk is in the fridge. He came back and sat for a few minutes with the weirdest look on his face. I ask him what was the matter. He said he thought the milk was bad. It turns out, he had never heard of buttermilk and just got milk out and put in his coffee. He was being polite and drinking it!!!
lau.gif
I showed him the difference in the cartons. You know what my mother thought about him. He didn't last.
gig.gif
Of course, that was the time that chickies didn't stray too far from Mama. She just about stroked out that I wanted to leave Louisiana and move to NY.

You can also just a 2 tbsp. of vinegar to some milk and wait a few minutes and it will make buttermilk. I don't use buttermilk much except for biscuits or cornbread so I don't buy it I just make it in a jiffy.
big_smile.png

That's how I make buttermilk too. Mmmm, biscuits sound good!

As we were cleaning up after a church dinner tonight, the woman across from me reached for my plate of watermelon rinds and leftover bread . . to toss it!! THis was after my kids and I had carefully cleaned up our side of the table and dumped our trash in the bin. lol CLearly we see leftovers in a different light!!! We have appreciative chickens to peck the melon to the hard rind . . . and she . . . . doesn't. lol

We never throw out our leftovers . . . . and struggle to watch all the food going into the trash . . . .

You can also just a 2 tbsp. of vinegar to some milk and wait a few minutes and it will make buttermilk. I don't use buttermilk much except for biscuits or cornbread so I don't buy it I just make it in a jiffy.
big_smile.png
I can always expect to learn something new from this thread! I have postponed making recipes requiring buttermilk a number of times never knowing that buttermilk was just 2 table spoon fulls of vinegar away. How much milk does 2 table spoons of vinegar require?

I never fell into the habit; so when I have a recipe requiring it, I need to add it to my shopping list. Then after my trip into town, I use about a cup of the buttermilk, and the rest goes into the frig utill it goes bad. It was all very inconvenient and wasteful. Making my own and in an amount I need is a great improvement.

I never fell into the habit; so when I have a recipe requiring it, I need to add it to my shopping list. Then after my trip into town, I use about a cup of the buttermilk, and the rest goes into the frig utill it goes bad. It was all very inconvenient and wasteful. Making my own and in an amount I need is a great improvement.

OR you can freeze the left over buttermilk

http://www.thekitchn.com/got-leftover-buttermilk-freeze-it-tips-from-the-kitchn-58239

one tablespoon cubes then once frozen throw it in a freezer bag.... Already measured out...

deb

Back
Top Bottom