Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I dont make tacos.... those rolled burritos are meat less. cant do rice because I suck at cooking rice.....
th.gif
Yeah there are gaps in my culinary education.....
lau.gif
I suck at rice cooking soo bad that If I want rice i have to buy it precooked.

Pink, I feel for you. I have three teenage boys and my Honey, and they all want to eat a lot. And a lot of meat. The boys it's not so bad, but Honey is another story. Last night he was wanting beef, so I pulled out a chuck roast. He looked at it and asked if I had another, to cook them both. Seriously? Yep, seriously. I've just had to make peace with how much we spend on groceries, but thankfully we've been blessed with the finances to do so. Your budget is pretty small right now, and your honey is going to have to suck it up and eat less, or start selling things to buy steak
tongue.png

Some ideas.....

Chili. This is a great meal, and less meat can go a long ways with the beans, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Over corn muffins, that's a good meal anywhere. Chili dogs are quick and easy and filling. Chili over a baked potato is good. chili and cheese on tortilla chips has been a classic in our house for years and years.

Try to use sausage instead of burger. The stronger seasoning will feel like more meat. Breakfast for dinner, quiche or casserole with the sausage for seasoning will be very filling, and satisfying. Italian style pasta and tomato sauce dishes are hearty and flavorful with sausage, onion, garlic, etc.

Potatoes are great for filling bellies. A potato casserole with ham, sausage, and a cheesy sauce puts smiles on faces.

Mexican style meals, heavy on the beans and rice, and the veggies.

And if folks are feeling deprived, some home baked goodies are cheap, fairly quick and go a long ways. A cake or batch of brownies helps folks feel more satisfied.

Or mix italian sausage with your burger meat..... but cook well.

Im due to make SOS.... soon. Its normally chipped beef and a cream sauce over toast.... "Stuff"On a Shingle.

But if you have a lot to feed a pound or more of hamburger a can of mushroom soup a can of Veg all and you have enough to feed an army.

Brown the hamburger then throw in diced onions and cook till they are translucent. Salt pepper garlic is all you need. Drain off the fat. Then add a can of vegall.... stirr it up till its warm...... then a can of Cream soup of choice. I like cream of mushroom but you could use cream of potato or cream of celery or even cream of chciken.

then add just enough water to get the soup to melt down into the meat. (thats the cream sauce)

I toast up Sour dough bread and after its toasted I slice it into finger manageable strips.... Makes it easier to cut with a fork too.

I dont have a garden but you could easily substitute fresh carrots peas and potatoes.... about two cups worth.... then make a cream sauce or Bechemel or Gravy with the drippins.

served over toast its very carb heavy and has stick to your ribs fat for growing boys and Men that work hard.

contrary to popular belief animal fat is very good for you in moderation. Just like anything else. But fat can be converted to energy just like sugar can... It just takes longer.

deb

Last edited:
Oh, your SOS reminds me of something else, creamed chicken with veggies.

You can use cream soup, or you can make a white sauce with a roux and broth/milk. Lots of veggies, we use onions, mushrooms, peas and carrots, squash, green beans, etc. Add cooked chicken and serve over carb of choice. We love tater tots, but other good choices are biscuits, toast, rice, noodles. Also a great basic filling for chicken pot pie.

Lasagna is an other good meal. cook once, and you have 2 - 3 meals left. I make a chicken or turkey lasagna with a white sauce that is heavenly. (add broccoli or spinach to that one) I also like cottage cheese in it instead of the ricotta. gives it a fresher taste. Mix it up a bit, and use the blended mexican style (without the spices) shredded cheese instead of mozzarella.

Cheap date: go for a picnic. Take chopped veggies and condiments from home, stop at a grocery along the way, pick up some nice bread, deli meat, cheese, and drink. Buy just enough for your lunch, and it's amazingly economical. Feels like a gourmet meal, much better and cheaper than fast food!

I dont make tacos....  those rolled burritos are meat less.  cant do rice because I suck at cooking rice.....:th Yeah there are gaps in my culinary education.....:lau     I suck at rice cooking soo bad that If I want rice i have to buy it precooked.

The trick to rice is to not stir it. And be patient. Get good rice, too. Minute rice has its place, but rice is one thing to pay a little more for to get good results.

Pink, I feel for you. I have three teenage boys and my Honey, and they all want to eat a lot. And a lot of meat. The boys it's not so bad, but Honey is another story. Last night he was wanting beef, so I pulled out a chuck roast. He looked at it and asked if I had another, to cook them both. Seriously? Yep, seriously. I've just had to make peace with how much we spend on groceries, but thankfully we've been blessed with the finances to do so. Your budget is pretty small right now, and your honey is going to have to suck it up and eat less, or start selling things to buy steak :p

Some ideas.....

Chili. This is a great meal, and less meat can go a long ways with the beans, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Over corn muffins, that's a good meal anywhere. Chili dogs are quick and easy and filling. Chili over a baked potato is good. chili and cheese on tortilla chips has been a classic in our house for years and years. 

Try to use sausage instead of burger. The stronger seasoning will feel like more meat. Breakfast for dinner, quiche or casserole with the sausage for seasoning will be very filling, and satisfying. Italian style pasta and tomato sauce dishes are hearty and flavorful with sausage, onion, garlic, etc. 

Potatoes are great for filling bellies. A potato casserole with ham, sausage,  and a cheesy sauce puts smiles on faces. 

Mexican style meals, heavy on the beans and rice, and the veggies. 

And if folks are feeling deprived, some home baked goodies are cheap, fairly quick and go a long ways. A cake or batch of brownies helps folks feel more satisfied. 

Meat- find a friend {or a few}and pitch in to buy a half or whole beef. The last time we bought a whole cow, our cost was less than $2.50 per pound on *everything.* That means all the roasts; t-bones, ribeye, etc. Yes, it costs a lot up front, but saves on the long run, and you can't beat the quality. I'm still having a heck of a time finding a butcher here. And, my kids are getting older. The investment of a freezer, a cow, and a pug = worth its weight in gold.

Meat- find a friend {or a few}and pitch in to buy a half or whole beef. The last time we bought a whole cow, our cost was less than $2.50 per pound on *everything.* That means all the roasts; t-bones, ribeye, etc. Yes, it costs a lot up front, but saves on the long run, and you can't beat the quality. I'm still having a heck of a time finding a butcher here. And, my kids are getting older. The investment of a freezer, a cow, and a pug = worth its weight in gold.
Not to get off topic too much, be we just invested in a small herd of miniature Herefords, so we've got beef on the hoof!

We're also raising three pigs, and of course all the extra cockerels I hatch.

I totally agree buying the whole or half animal is the best way to go, if you have the money to do so and the space to store. Around here, folks charge about $3 a pound hanging weight for beef, plus cut and wrap is about $0.65 a pound. So, under four bucks a pound and you've got all your good cuts.

Pork is pretty cheap right now, so that's a good frugal option for carnivorous family members. A nice pork roast in the crock pot with bbq sauce, or pork chops can be cooked a zillion different ways.

Back
Top Bottom