Just curious who else is living super frugal

I found one here it is

BASIC ZUCCHINI CANDY FRUIT
10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes
3 cups water
2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid
2 1/2 cups sugar

Peel zucchini,cut in half, removing seeds. Dice in cubes.
Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to
a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14
hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will
feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed
containers.If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like
"gum drops" on the outside.

PINEAPPLE CANDY FRUIT

You can do the same thing with the zucchini but use :
48 oz. pineapple juice
2 T. pineapple extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

BLUEBERRY CANDY FRUIT

10 cups peeled, cut zucchini, about 1/2 inch cubes
1 -16 oz. can wild blueberries ( mashed and strained through cheese cloth)
1 qt. fresh blueberries ( mashed and strained through cheese cloth)
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice ( optional)

Follow the directions for basic recipe.

HINTS: When turning your zucchini, dip in sugar to coat them, making them more like "gumdrops".
MAKE FRUIT LEATHER : Drain and mash or blend fruit and spread on drying sheets and dry them.

I haven't tried it yet, but everyone who has, has loved it.

Quote:
I completely agree about the humidity in the winter, it helps so much because the air is usually so dry inside the house. We got rid of our dryer about 3 years ago and I will never go back to using one. Here in Texas we're on our 79th day this year with over 100+ degree temps. The clothes dry outside in half the time they take in the dryer and it's free!

My dryer broke about 6 months ago and even though the part is cheap and a pretty quick fix, I've enjoyed not heating up the house in the summer and the reduction in the utility bill. I was wondering about the winter though. Also, the clothes, more so the towels come off the line so stiff (but smelling great!). Do you then iron them to make them softer?

If you double, or even triple your towels up on the line, they won't get so stiff. We do that with jeans and tshirts too.

Domino that's fantastic! Thanks!

For zucchini over abundance.. I recently saw zuch jam at an Amish store, haven't tried it but it sounds worth the adventure just to say you did it. Can't be all bad, I mean we love zucchini bread! I have shredded/frozen several of mine to save for just that purpose later this winter when no one has them around.

I know I posted it before, but I will post it again...

http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/2380629.htm

Cheap place to buy vacuum bags. They DO work as good as the foodsaver bags. If you don't want to believe me they have that little sampler pack on the page. They give you a few bags in different sizes to test out. That is how I initially found them (and they are on ebay). Got a sample pack and haven't bought brand name since. (No I don't work for them). If you process your own or hunt a lot, these bags can save ya a pretty penny!

I just ordered the 300 pack I think for hunting season around the corner. My foodsaver is going though. The Vacuum motor is dying, it is an old model. I got if off craigslist for 40 with some bags and it's the simplest model. Had if for two years and made it through deer season twice. I think it's time to go craigslist shopping again
smile.png
Maybe get one that holds and cuts bags. Oooo! haha.

I was looking into learnign to sew, which I am not skilled or even familiar with. Signed my daughter up for 4h. for $2 a class sewing for her she can learn. The teacher also said if I want to hang around for those 2 hours each month, help out, I can work along side and learn a bit also. I also found out that our local extention office has a series of sewing classes. $2 each class and there are like 8 of them. A four hour class at the fabric shop is almost $100. Pretty good deal. They have a ton of other classes. Even a weekly yoga class for like $1 a week. Pretty sweet.

I love the idea of the sewing class. My mother enrolled me in a class when I was about 10. My mother sews beautifully, but she didn't have the patience to teach me. I still think of that sewing class as one of the best gifts she ever gave me.

For those of you struggling with zucchini overload, I was on the sister site - sufficientself and someone had mentioned making faux apple pie - with ZUCCHINI. They said the apple pie spices meld with the squash and it tastes very much like apple pie. So ... if anyone tries it let me know. (I don't grow zucchini and they are too expensive to buy right now).

Back
Top Bottom