Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I don't think you understood...this is NOVEMBER and I haven't bought detergent since MARCH. $40 for a case is high yes, but I am talking like 5 cases in total. I said I still have a case left.

I will be making my own detergent when I am through with this, when I bought this though I did not know of any homemade recipes for the HE washers. I now know that there are recipes for the HE washers.

So what do you shave with? I haven't bought razors in over a year- they are all free.

How about soap? hmmm? Haven't paid over a quarter a 3-pack in over a year.

How about toothpaste? It is free

Deodarant? Free

Toilet paper - really cheap

For baby items coupons are great. We would have been in so much debt if it wasn't for coupons with the babies.

oh and Cascade dishwashing tablets are FREE.

I haven't gotten a handle on how to use the coupons to get things for free, this would certainly be useful! Care to share?

Quote:
Beekissed, do you have a high efficiency washer? I'm a hobbyist soapmaker. About the time I considered making my own laundry detergent, my washer broke down and we replaced it with a high-efficiency model. I know that standard storebought detergent would gum it up... do you know much about homemade detergents and the new washers?

I don't coupon either. My family can't eat processed food because of various health issues, so almost everything we buy are raw ingredients. We watch the grocery circulars and go in when produce or meats are on sale. And as far as everything else... I make or recycle whatever I can, including my own soap and yogurt. I don't want to pay for someone to do that for me, and give me a substandard product in trade for it, when I can spend a few hours and make something worthwhile.

I have started making my own laundry detergent and do have a high efficiency washer. I did a little research to be sure that I would not hurt my machine. It seems that it should be just fine. The concern is over the sudsing that goes on with regular commercial laundry soap. The recipe I use is low sudsing. I thought that all homemade was pretty much low sudsing, though. I do use a homemade powdered version -- not that I think it matters. There's lots of info out there on it if you did decide to give it a go.

I rarely coupon since I don't buy much processed foods, either. Every now and again I'll get a coupons printed off at the register for produce, milk, dairy, and bread. Then I try to use those up.

I just takes some research, read the flyers, check what coupons you have, wait for double (or triple!) coupons at your store....
Say something is usually $4.29, and the store has it on sale for $2.99, and you have a coupon for $1.50 off, and if they do double coupons (some stores won't double over $1.00) then, it's FREE!
It does take some time and effort, but it is worth it.
Good luck! And have fun doing it.

I find that most coupons are for name brand products that cost twice as much as "no name brand" so you dont save anything in the long run. Also the majority of coupons are for frozen processed food or cookies or junk foods (which we don't buy anyways) or perishable items like sour cream (can you freeze sour cream?) The best deal with coupons I had was this week..publix has hellmans mayo BOGO and I had a coupon for $1.50 off. Pasta sauce always has coupons for the most expensive brands which I don't buy. arrrgh! I want a pressure cooker for Christmas. Why don't they do coupons for meat or produce?

Last edited:
I made the detergent (found on this site) with 2 boxes Borax, 1 box Arm and Hammer washing soda, and I grated a bar of that Fels Nespar (or whatever - I can't remember the name) soap. It smells wonderful. I only use a little bit. It seems to work really well. It is much cheaper than the chemical-free stuff I used to buy, but I suspect I would have to forgo the grated soap bar to be chemical-free.

Great tip penny-pinchers! Thanks.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
What does it smell like? Fragrant?
hmm.png

I think the smell is slightly lemony, but the clothes don't have any scent when they are finished being washed.

I shop ebay too for coupons for body wash, face wash, deoderant etc. I buy the lot of 20 if it has a long expiration date, then wait for a sale. I only do this with stuff like that, as most food coupons are just junk food! Very sad there is never coupons for raw food products it seems.

Quote:
What does it smell like? Fragrant?
hmm.png

I think the smell is slightly lemony, but the clothes don't have any scent when they are finished being washed.

Great!!!! I can handle the lemon smell.

Quote:
I don't think you understood...this is NOVEMBER and I haven't bought detergent since MARCH. $40 for a case is high yes, but I am talking like 5 cases in total. I said I still have a case left.

I will be making my own detergent when I am through with this, when I bought this though I did not know of any homemade recipes for the HE washers. I now know that there are recipes for the HE washers.

So what do you shave with? I haven't bought razors in over a year- they are all free.

How about soap? hmmm? Haven't paid over a quarter a 3-pack in over a year.

How about toothpaste? It is free

Deodarant? Free

Toilet paper - really cheap

For baby items coupons are great. We would have been in so much debt if it wasn't for coupons with the babies.

oh and Cascade dishwashing tablets are FREE.

I haven't gotten a handle on how to use the coupons to get things for free, this would certainly be useful! Care to share?

Alot of ad matching, waiting for things to go on sale, knowing your stores coupon policy, etc. There are many websites that do matching and break it down for you. walgreens and dollar general are great places to shop. Like for deodorant - awhile back there was a $1 off coupon for Degree Women Dollar General has a medium sized Degree in their dollar isle. Walmart has Trial packs of Cascade Tablet for $0.97, usually in the P&G Saver there is a $1 off coupon---

Also look for stores that double, round up or even triple coupons. Usually only grocery stores do this, but sometimes the razors and stuff even thought normally they are marked more expensive you can get for really cheap or free with coupons.

Here is one website that is a lady that is local to me http://gatewaytosaving.com/ some info will be irrelevant to you probably, but there are other websites out there and coupon workshops are a great investment if you can find one near you.

Back
Top Bottom