Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

We're namers - all were chosen from a 1940's era Maine Rebekahs Cookbook with the exception of Clara and Maude, who were our Great Grandma and Grandma, respectively
Buff Orps: Fannie & Bess
Australorps: Lulie & Viola
Silver Laced Wyandottes: Hattie & Mabel
Easter Eggers: Clara & Maude

Yes, I name my chickens. They free-range so names help me keep track in case one goes missing.

Started out with 1 roo, Henry and 2 hens, Lucy and Ethel. Ethel hatched 16 chicks in the woods. Couldn't get Ethel and her chicks in the coop for a couple days and one night lost 9 chicks to a predator. A couple days later lost mama and one baby to a predator. All I found was a trail of feathers leading in to the woods. The day after that a snake got in to the coop and ate another chick.

Our second set of adult hens were Laverne and Shirley. Laverne adopted the baby chicks as her own, but when the chicks were about 2 weeks old, mama was killed by something (never found out what it was) and I found her remains behind a tree. After that I just called Shirley "Little Girl", being the smallest of the girls. Our chicks that survived are 1 roo named Jack and 4 hens that I named Henny, Penny, Gigi and Bridgett. Needless to say, we don't eat our chickens. I wouldn't have named them if they were being raised for food. We love the eggs though!

We have a banty rooster we call Roy Rogers and we have a soap opera going on called "As the Egg Turns". at the moment, Roy has been two timing with Miss Speckles and his true lover Arican has been cooped up and finally got out and went after Miss Speckles so she went into the coop with her sister and brother. Now the two...Roy and Arican are allowed to roam free together and share their own little red house.......stay tuned for the next episode;). hahahaha

Mine are all named ....
2 Rhode Island reds ... 1 is a hen for sure .. She is Nugget , 1 .. still unsure as to if it is a hen or rooster ( Hoping for a hen ) she is popcorn
2 Sicilian Buttercups .. 1 is a hen for sure .. she is falcon ... 1 in a rooster (
sad.png
so sad .. I can't keep him .. trying to find him a home) .. he is Sid ( formerly known as Sara before he started crowing)

BTW ... anyone in the Boise , Id area that can keep a rooster & wants Sid ... please contact me ASAP ...
smile.png

New to the whole chicken thing but am totally lovin' it !!!

Uh, we name all of ours.

After a couple of rounds of losses, I admit, it is a little difficult to come up with new creative names. We do "re-use" some of our favs: "Goldie," "Sweetie" and "Princess"

But I bet none of you out there have one named what my daughter named her big fat hen: "Sparkle Doughnut". Yes, she is 8.
tongue.png

We name them all.
Been doing it from the beginning 3 years ago.
We've raised 63 chickens during that time - all had names.

The current flock of 29 chickens have the following names:
Australorps: Violet, Vivianne, Vanna & Vera
Amerucanas: All Italian Names - Gia, Gemma, Bella Blue, Sienna & Caprice
Giant Cochins: Cezanne, Fancy, Bluebell, Addaline & Daphne
Black Sexlinks: Millie & Maddie (but my husband calls Maddie, Veronica Lake because her comb is huge and flops over the one side of her face)
Wellsummers: Poppy & Penny
White Silkington (white silkie and buff orpington mix): Blondie
Silkies: Boys - Peter, Jasper Bloom, Lovejoy and the Girls - Goldie Hawn, Purdy Momma, Eva and Ava Gabor, Zoe, Gigi & Chloe

We name them by color or the way the act or just cause we like the name.
It's fun and it helps me to keep using my memory skills, to call them by name.
Whatever works at 53, ya know.

We only have six and we named them all:

Miss Cleo- Red Sex Link
Big Mama-Ameracuana
Nugget- Barred Rock
Pinky - Cuckoo Maran
Bella - Light Brahma
Cocoa - Blue Splash Copper Maran

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom