1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just curious

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    This is probably a super-duper dumb question, but..

Just wondering why eggs purchased through the big companies (Murray McMurray and so forth) cost so much more than the baby chicks? I would think they would have more time invested in the chicks, and it seems like the hatch rate for eggs is under 80%... Plus selling chicks requires incubation time, etc etc, which is totally unnecessary for the fertilized eggs.
    If anything, I would think the eggs would be CHEAPER. Yes, it costs money to pack and ship eggs, but usually we'd pay extra for that, no? And.. must require quite a bit of careful packing for the wee babies, too.

Hmm. I still don't get it!

2. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I thought the same thing, maybe somebody knows why and can share with us. Here is a thought, maybe they just don't really want to sell the eggs because they need all the eggs for their hatchings so they put a higher price on them so if some one does buy them, at least they made out.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Definately not dumb question! Inquiring minds want to know. I had noticed that too and wondered why.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by