1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just Curious

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 33yardbirds, Aug 17, 2011.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Why do folks get so freaked over a broody hen? I just figure they don't have a roo for fertile eggs, or is there more to it?

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    It may be because they quit laying for 21 days + the time the spend raising the chicks. I saw someone say their hen had chicks 13 weeks old and she has not started laying again [​IMG]

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Broody is contagious. Then the others get off kilter with laying because the broodies are hogging the nest boxes. And it's 110 all over and they could die of heat stroke trying to hatch non existant eggs. And it cuts donw on egg production. And some of us don't want more chicks.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds like me... The 10 chicks are quite capable of fending for themselves, but the silly hen doesn't believe it and still cares for them and, umm yeah, hasn't begun laying yet. [​IMG] <--- Is pretty much how I feel about it. (my son's father claims it's because my chickens get fruit on occasion. If he doesn't stop banging that drum he won't like where I stuff my fruity table scraps! lol!)

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by