Just curious

Ash123

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Tyler, TX
My broody hen was sitting on four eggs. On Saturday I noticed either her or the other chickens had smashed one of the eggs. I took the others out but they were so covered with poop you could hardly see the color of the egg. I made the decision after weighing my options to wash the eggs off with a warm damp paper towel. The eggs feel different now (I guess I rubbed that protective layer off) than my others I'm incubating. The chicks are still alive and we are on day 10. How good are the chances of them hatching?

My broody hen was sitting on four eggs. On Saturday I noticed either her or the other chickens had smashed one of the eggs. I took the others out but they were so covered with poop you could hardly see the color of the egg. I made the decision after weighing my options to wash the eggs off with a warm damp paper towel. The eggs feel different now (I guess I rubbed that protective layer off) than my others I'm incubating. The chicks are still alive and we are on day 10. How good are the chances of them hatching?
I am not sure, you will know better on day 14 candle..... I would think they would be ok! keep us updated!! GOOD LUCK!!! what kinda chicks you hatching?

Thank you! I'm hatching easter eggers, rir, barred rock and australorp (sp?) They are on day 12 right now. I started out with 16, the other hens pecked one egg and I opened an alive egg (thinking it had died) on accident. I still have 14 healthy growing chicks as of now.:) I've had a pretty good hatch rate in the past so fingers crossed!

fl.gif

I think day 15. I pulled them from my hen though after being gone over the weekend so they could be as much as 17. I can't tell for sure from candling.

Back
Top Bottom