Just dispatched our first rooq

littlestars17

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
He came after me and the baby twice yesterday so Hubby did away with him this morning, I am so sad and sick about the whole thing...he was such a good boy but the hormones, he has been feather pulling like crazy and then came after me...Is it normal to feel this way : (

Awe that is so sad. I have often thought that I could never cull one of my chickens but I guess that is the one and only instance that I could. Just can't have roosters disrespecting humans and coming after kids. Human mothers can be very protective of their babies too.

hugs.gif
It's a tough decision to make. Of course it's normal to feel a little sad about it.

Thanks, just keep thinking of how sweet he was as a baby, his brother and he would hide under me when I took them out to free range..BUt the image of him flying at me and kicking yesterday... Hope our one and only other roo behaves himself once pecking order is reestablished..I cant do this again-Will have to find someone else locally that cna do it for us

Oh, littlestars, my heart goes out to you. Of course it is normal to feel this way. It just means you have a heart and you love your birds. I wish I understood why a sweet little bird can end up as an aggressive rooster...well, I guess I do understand the biology of it, but I know from experience that it hurts. I know sometimes I wish we had no animals, because it hurts so to lose them.

You have to protect your two-legged babies above all, and you did the right thing.

I once had a rooster that drew blood on my then- 3yr. old child, then attacked me viciously without letting up until my oldest child brought me a stick. We had to do the same thing as you.

It took me 4 yrs. to want chickens again. Now I am going with bantam roosters...I hope they will be sweet when they grow up. At least they hopefully won't be as ferocious.

You were defending your home from a predatory animal.

Its not easy. My wife and I had a young roo that was sweet. However, he turned aggressive. We took care of him (my wife cried the entire time).

So sorry you had to go through this. They can be quite frightening when they chase after you. You did the right thing. You have to protect yourself and child first. Of course you feel badly, you have a heart. It's the best thing someone with animals can have, but it does make some of the choices hard. You raised these animals with the hope of keeping them as part of your flock. But be assured, you have not failed in any sense of the word, regardless of how you feel. Hopefully your sweet roo will stay that way and you won't have to go through this again.

"ChickensAreSweet" - be cautious with the bantams. Two of my roos, a bantam silkie and a bantam cochin are the most vicious little critters I have ever seen. The cochin has bruised and bloodied me more times than I can count. I keep them both around because they are good with their girls. I have read a lot on the forum about the way they are handled when they are young. My full sized RIR was never handled as a baby and he is quite respectful of me (thankfully). The mille fleur roos were never handled and likewise, are respectful. The cochin and silkie I raised from day old chicks and they just want to beat me.

Lilttlestars, I feel for you. I think that when you raise chicks from hatch, love and enjoy them for many months...it is natural to feel attached and sad when they have to leave. Hugs to you; I hope the ladies find their new order amongst themselves. We had to give away our "surprise" rooster this weekend, and even though he was turning mean, we still feel sad
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom