Just feeding chickens scratch feed & cracked corn.

Quote:
Peas are not cereal grains, though, they're legumes. They have a different amino acid profile than grains, when you're looking at trying to feed protein to chickens. Sunflower seeds also have a different nutrient profile than cereal grains. What you are feeding is good, but I wouldn't call it scratch and it isn't anything like what is marketed as scratch. What you're feeding is very similar to a complete feed for chickens, if you look at the ingredients. It just isn't ground up.

I know that peas are a legumes much like soy, alfalfa, clove, and peanuts are legumes and that a legumes amino acid make up is different than that of grains but if you will note I said, "10 grains/ seeds" in my post. Peas can and are considered a seed.

What you're feeding is very similar to a complete feed for chickens, if you look at the ingredients. It just isn't ground up.

You are right the mix I use as a "Scratch" can/ could be considered a complete feed and at 17% protein would make a good grower feed.

As for my statement that I use a, "17% pigeon feed (all grain)" the pre-bagged mix that I use in that mix states that it is a all grain mix and it contains Popcorn, Whole Milo, Canadian Peas, Whole Wheat, Maple Peas, Austrian Peas, Oat Groats the reason for the wording of a all grain mix is because some pigeon fed mixes contain a mixture of a pellet and grains/ seeds.

Chris​

Some people tend to make the feeding process more difficult than it really is, at least that's what I think. If you want healthy chickens that can lay and produce to their full potential (Ones that do not have great range, for example) then why not just stick with the average chicken layer? You can always supplement with leftovers, greens, and proteins like meat, and you'd be set. If yours have great range, with access to a wide variety of plants and insects, then I'd see no problem with feeding a *good* quality of scratch as a staple. I'm by no means an expert in this subject, but mine seem to do great in a 1/2 an acre back yard, with a good variety of plants, some bugs, and regular 16% layer. My yard is green 24/7 in florida, so no veggies are given to them, and they are let out 1-8 hours a day if weather permits. For treats I give them a handful of black oil sunflower seed 3 times a day, yogurt once a week, and feeder insects several times a week. It can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be, but it just comes down to how well the hen produces FOR YOU.

I researched for about a week while the coop was being built. And what I learned is for every person that said one thing there was
someone else who said the opposite, & it can be very confusing. Then I spent the next week worrying if they were "in" too much
or eating enough etc. etc. They do not free range.
I am feeding my 1 year old Amerucana, & my 6 mo. old Leghorn, Crumbles & Oyster Shell. with treats of Apple, Bread, Banana & Carrot
& a few snails.
When I Got my 1st egg it was beautiful. I decided not to overthink Mother Nature, since these are just for my personal use.
And I KNOW they are healthier than the grocery store.
Sometimes you have to go back to basics, use common sense & relax.
pop.gif

I have been feeding my layers and roosters half cracked corn and half layer feed. We have been getting about 9 to 12 eggs a day with 25 layers. What should the ratio be?

Brenda

Quote:
Brenda, this is dependent on other factors, such breed type, lighting conditions, etc. Not just feed.

However, do this test. Put them a really good laying pellet or crumble alone for 2 weeks. No corn, no junk foods, nothing but the crumbles or pellets. (additional shells and or grit does not harm this test)

If you laying begins to increase, to say 16-24 eggs per day, then you'll have your answer. Your present feed is high in carbs, and bit low in protein.

Back
Top Bottom