Just figured out I have two roos...can I keep both of them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I ordered 15 pullets and 1 roo. They added an extra chick(which I don't think they sexed). I ended up with 2 roos instead of just one. They are four weeks old and everyone gets along. I don't have any rooster laws around here....do you think I could keep both? Would they get along since they were raised together as babies?

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    When we first started out we went with straight run chicks. Ended up with 8 roos out of 10. Note to self: never do that again. Anyway, we ended up keeping three of the roos, one of each type, and the two hens. The seemed to get along just fine, maybe because they were raised together from chicks. I've since added 13 sexed pullets and it's still working out. I think you'll be fine.

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I have several roosters and they get along just fine with one another. With as many hens as you have 2 roosters shouldn't be a problem, especially having been raised together.

4. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:Ditto. They may fight every now and then, but for the most part they should get along fine.

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    You have a good hen to roo ratio, there will be some sparring though, shouldn't be any real problem. I have 6 roos to 27 hens 2 are getting their walking papers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by