Just finished Florida coop/run!

It's all one structure with one walk in door. We are somewhat urban at the moment so I was going to wait and see if anything tries to dig. Or could we have a disaster overnight? I've never even seen a raccoon here but I know they are here.
You could have a disaster overnight. Definitely do an apron. Dogs, cats, weasels, mink, rats, fox, etc.

Racoons don't usually dig, but use a carabiner or a keyed lock to secure your coop. sliding bolts are easy for them to open. I prefer triact lock carabiners, but I probably overdo it a bit. I have two hasps I use carabiners on in addition to a sliding gate latch for ease of entry when I'm working around the coop. Even if they get one carabiner off, the odds they could get both and the sliding latch are lower.

Here's a picture, though there's an extra/unused carabiner on the black handle, this is how I did my hasps and sliding gate latch. This is the winter configuration - the top clear tarp stays year round but the side plastic gets removed once it's warm again. Totally enclosed greenhouse frame with 1/2" hardware cloth and 3 ft apron. No predators have got in yet but not for lack of trying - it's been over a year.

Attachments

• 20221201_092835.jpg
    20221201_092835.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 6
We have six chickens. I think we will add a vent window at the back where it can be protected by the roof the storms here can produce almost sideways rain. I plan on letting them into the fenced in yard when they can be watched as we have a lot of birds of prey here. Appreciate the compliment, this was our first time building and my husband insisted it needed to look good.
Basically use the wood you cut out and hinge it at the top to make a flap/overhang over the window. You could hinge it for opening/closing or make it permanently open. That sideways rain is no joke.

Rule of thumb is 1 ft of roost space per standard large fowl chicken, and a minimum of 14 total square feet of floor space per chicken in coop and run combined (since you have an open/connected coop/run). I suspect your run area may be too small, but that's fixable, and it depends on how much time they spend confined as to how much of an issue this is.

Not enough space can lead to increased bullying/feather picking/eating, fighting, and stress in the flock. So best to avoid. But if your chickens are small, you have time yet before these issues, if you end up having them, become apparent. Personality and size of the individual chickens also have a lot to do with it. If you have bantams, this size coop and run may be just fine.

I totally have coop envy!

as of now the back has a couple inches open at the top (whole top is screened underneath). we are hoping this is enough but can add a window if needed. we are new to this so any advice is appreciated.

In a hot climate there's pretty much no such thing as too much ventilation until the sideways rain is crossing the coop.

I think we will add a vent window at the back where it can be protected by the roof the storms here can produce almost sideways rain

Basically use the wood you cut out and hinge it at the top to make a flap/overhang over the window. You could hinge it for opening/closing or make it permanently open. That sideways rain is no joke.

Yes, top-hinged windows are great.

Or, since we're talking Florida, you might be able to find a couple old-fashioned Jalousie windows that have the same ability to protect the ventilation from rain.

Or could we have a disaster overnight?

Yes, unfortunately, you can.

Quite a lot of predators dig and you don't necessarily know what you've got until the damage has been done.

Back
Top Bottom