Just finished Florida coop/run!

HannahR318

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Just need finishing touches inside, internally the coop has a vinyl floor, nesting boxes, poop shelf and roosting bars. 100% designed and built from the ground up by us. Total materials cost only around $700. Hours of labor I lost count.

Attachments

• 20230709_172702.jpg
    20230709_172702.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 85

Attachments

• 20230711_131134.jpg
    20230711_131134.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 16
as of now the back has a couple inches open at the top (whole top is screened underneath). we are hoping this is enough but can add a window if needed. we are new to this so any advice is appreciated.
Where are you located in general? Climate matters. For instance, I'm in Texas and my birds would cook in there. Is the front of the coop open?

ETA: Just saw that your in Florida, my bad...

I love your coop!!! It is super cute!!!

x2 on adding a hardware cloth apron. I use 3 ft wide due to many predators, but others use less-wide aprons.

How many chickens are you planning to keep in there? Will you be free ranging, or keeping them confined?

Are you planning to add an additional run or outdoor area where they can range? Premier One electric fence netting is popular for a semi-permanent/moveable run, with maybe some bird netting over top.

Since there's no front on the coop, that's most helpful for Florida. I keep mine in North Alabama, and I don't even have a traditional coop, just a very secure covered run due to the extreme heat and humidity. Want to catch every breeze in the summer.

If the coop feels hot/stuffy to you, or if the birds seem to avoid it, you could add some additional hardware cloth covered openings/windows (above the level of the birds heads while on the roost) to the back and sides of the coop, to see if you can get some cross breezes going. I like your slanted roof and 3-walled structure, I think that will work very well.

If you have issues in the winter or with storms, you can zip tie some plastic to the outside of the hardware cloth to reduce wind, just leave enough opening at the top uncovered for ventilation.

That is really cute! Bonus on the front being open! Is there any kind of door? or is it all part of the run? If it's all part of the run, I'd suggest putting an anti-dig apron around the base of the coop.
It's all one structure with one walk in door. We are somewhat urban at the moment so I was going to wait and see if anything tries to dig. Or could we have a disaster overnight? I've never even seen a raccoon here but I know they are here.

I love your coop!!! It is super cute!!!

x2 on adding a hardware cloth apron. I use 3 ft wide due to many predators, but others use less-wide aprons.

How many chickens are you planning to keep in there? Will you be free ranging, or keeping them confined?

Are you planning to add an additional run or outdoor area where they can range? Premier One electric fence netting is popular for a semi-permanent/moveable run, with maybe some bird netting over top.

Since there's no front on the coop, that's most helpful for Florida. I keep mine in North Alabama, and I don't even have a traditional coop, just a very secure covered run due to the extreme heat and humidity. Want to catch every breeze in the summer.

If the coop feels hot/stuffy to you, or if the birds seem to avoid it, you could add some additional hardware cloth covered openings/windows (above the level of the birds heads while on the roost) to the back and sides of the coop, to see if you can get some cross breezes going. I like your slanted roof and 3-walled structure, I think that will work very well.

If you have issues in the winter or with storms, you can zip tie some plastic to the outside of the hardware cloth to reduce wind, just leave enough opening at the top uncovered for ventilation.
We have six chickens. I think we will add a vent window at the back where it can be protected by the roof the storms here can produce almost sideways rain. I plan on letting them into the fenced in yard when they can be watched as we have a lot of birds of prey here. Appreciate the compliment, this was our first time building and my husband insisted it needed to look good.

Back
Top Bottom