Just Finished New Watering System

pacetruckguy

The West Coast Chicken Whisperer
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
Petaluma,CA
Here is the new watering system I just finished. I built a shelf on the back of the coop, so as not to be seen. Drilled a hole in the middle of the shelf, and in the bottom of the bucket. I used a water heater pan drain, and attached it to the hole in the bucket. Then with PVC pipe and fittings I routed the the water flow down the back of the coop and around the front, and then along the side of the run. I drilled holes in the PVC, wrapped teflon tape around some watering nipples, screwed them into the PVC, and attached the catch cups under the nipples. I put connectors at the bottom of the bucket, and at the start of the nipple run, so if I need to remove either in the future it will be an easy task. The chickens were pecking at the nipples before I could get the water running through the lines.
No more dumping out watering dishes, no more poop in the water. All I need to do is fill the 5 gallon bucket. It seems to be working well.

45502_1photo.jpg

45502_2photo.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
It's working really well, I only wish I had done it a long time ago. The biggest chore for me was keeping that water dish clean.
ya.gif

The more I look at this the more I like it .. i think im gonna try this in my brooders as well.. That way it wont take up any floor space and dont have to worry about the babies kicking shavings in it..

It does give the chickens a little more space in the run, and I was amazed at how fast they figured it out. It was as if they just knew what to do. Chickens have excelent eye sight and a lot of curiosity. I guess that's why they knew what to do, but it did seem wierd.
hu.gif

That looks like a great idea! Im working on building a coop for my chickens but i didnt have any idea on using my already installed water feeder.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom