Just for fun - Hybrid geese!

Great pictures and documentation! I find these hybrids interesting and I would like to share some information to clarify. All geese have 40 chromosomes. All birds are actually rather consistent in having either 40 or 39 pairs of chromosomes. There are other factors beside chromosome number that can cause chromosomal mismatch such as genes or whole set of genes that can be arranged differently on corresponding chromosomes of different species. Waterfowl form hybrids more readily than most other groups of animals. The Canada x Domestic hybrids are very common, but are almost universally considered sterile. However I know of several credible accounts of Canada x domestic Anser hybrids being fertile. It may be the case that the males of these hybrids are rarely fertile. Yes, there may be confusion over the parentage of any given clutch of eggs unless the parents were kept in isolation. However, it is also often the case that second generation backcross hybrids of many hybrid crosses of different species will resemble one parent species very strongly, further obscuring matters.

I find the pictures posted of this cross very interesting. It appears to me that the domestic gander that fathered the hybrids has a single copy of the partially dominant sex linked dilution gene Sd. This would be consistent with your description of gender and color of the offspring. Half of the female and half of the male offspring would receive one copy of the gene resulting in half the males being light gray/blue and half the females being white. Depending on other genes the Sd dilution will cause females to be white (white domestic greylag breeds) or gray (sex linked breeds such as Pilgrim). If this is true then you appeared to nail the sex of the offspring. I would love to learn how you were able to determine the sex of the offspring, especially since they had unusual honks! Did you mostly go by size and the clucks that you mentioned?

It would be great to watch any of the male hybrids to see if they produce any offspring, especially the gray one. Since it carries the dilution gene, it should be obvious if it was the father. Suppose if for example just one in 20 males are fertile, then you can see how difficult it would be to confirm hybrid fertility when just one of the 4 male offspring has stuck around thus far.

Was there any new offspring in 2011, or 2012?

The sex wasn't hard to determine after a few weeks. They grew very similarly domestic geese so the ganders were larger after a few weeks.

None of them have produced fertile offspring thus far. Last spring (2012), one of the white hens from the first clutch and the brown hen from the second clutch both mated with a domestic gander and nested right next to one another. Neither of them hatched out offspring as far as I know (I was away at school for most of the time, so I don't know exactly what happened in both cases). The gray male has been paired off with the other white female from the clutch in 2009 (NOT the one metioned above), they have also not produced any offspring. The gray male that passed away bred with his mother in his first year, they also did not produce fertile offspring. I can post more pictures if you'd like.

Spring 2009:

Four of the five goslings made it to adulthood and the Canada goose gander on the left is their adoptive father. When their mother starting nesting, he ran the domestic gander off and acted as her mate and stepfather to her offspring. He has a pinioned wing, but was previously paired off with a pinioned female before leaving her to defend Uno (the mother goose).

Summer 2009:
These are the four goslings from the clutch in 2009.

Sarge: Only male of the group, he has never returned that I have seen.

Solly (short for Solid): almost completely white female (with one black spot) that is a permanent resident of the park.

Lilly: dark female of the clutch. She comes and goes with the Canada goose flocks, but she is very skittish around her former family.

Patches: white and gray female. She gets very broody in the Spring and will sit on a nest if she finds it, whether it's hers or not.

Spring 2010:

Brutus (domestic gander) and Uno (Canada goose) breed and hatch out six goslings.

Patches, now one, tried her best to hatch out sterile eggs from an old domestic gander.

Patches with three of her younger siblings, and their dad in the back. When Patches failed to hatch goslings, she and her mate slowly took over raising her parents clutch.

Patches, her mate Claudius, Uno the mom, and the goslings.

Patches and her mate with the goslings.

Patches and her mate with the goslings. (Patches is in molt in this picture and you can barely tell her from the adolescents but she is the white female in the back).

Spring 2012:

The above pictures are Patches (from 2009) and her sister Dakota (from 2010) with their mate. He is a domestic gander and he treats them as he would a harem of domestic females.

This is Douglas from the 2010 clutch, he left with the Canada goose flock and found a mate, but returned in 2012, left again, came back for the summer molt and has since been back and forth.

Dakota and Patches after their failed nesting attempts.

This is the three white females from both clutches, two from 2009 and one from 2010 and the surviving gray male from 2010.

Patches in 2012 sitting on a nest that isn't hers before eventually making one of her own.

Durham (2010 male) and Solly (2009 female) are paired off exclusively. I find it interesting that they mate like Canada geese, which for the most part is a monogamous relationship, but their sisters mate like domestic geese, sharing a gander.

This is Douglas with his female Canada goose mate. He was by the far the best looking bird, but he was sadly hit by a car soon after this picture was taken.

Thanks for the updates and great pics Maybe someone who had a fertile hybrid will add their experience

Back
Top Bottom