just found a hidden nest are all the eggs bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shadowpaints, Jun 30, 2010.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i found a HUGE nest today (well huge to ME) my egg production has been steadily going down, i figured it was due to the heat.. but today i found a nest that had 20 eggs in it! LOL well, now i know they just thought the lilac bush was cooler LOL how do i know if they are bad or not?? or should i just toss them all??

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    from reading other post one way to check is to float it in water!I forgot if it sinks its good or if it floats its good im sure other members will know

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Incubate & candle. [​IMG]

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    We have the same problem except ours has a broody on it. [​IMG]

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:

6. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I agree... I would put them all

put them in the bator and given them a try. If this was a current "stash".. you might be surprised at how many are good!! Candle in about 10 - 14 days.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  7. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I would say candle them.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    gah! lol i knew thats what you would say! lol . i cant put them in the bator! im outta room! on top of that im leaving townfor a week and there would be no one to turn the for me! lol other wise i totally would!! my friend has some room in her bator tho maybe ill take them to her! lol hmmmmm worth a try!

9. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I finally found the stash my WC Blue Polish had been hiding. She is notorious for going off to her own place to lay her egg. I didn't notice at first, but when I was getting a box of 18 eggs ready for a neighbor - it was suddenly obvious that Annabelle had not contributed anything for several days! A day or so of searching found a clutch of polish eggs in the second story of the cat house! Guess all that straw and privacy lured her in, LOL!

We have no rooster, broody or incubator -- so I pitched them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by