1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just found Jelly dead

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickBond 007, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    On my final rounds of the night, I took the dog out the front door and found my alpha rooster, Jelly, with his head stuck behind the landscaping rocks. I thought he was hiding, didn't make it to the coop and fell asleep. I pulled him out and found his head completely bloody. It appears he was pecked to death. Is this possible???

Now, I'll admit, I've got too many roosters right now.
    But I didn't think they would peck each other to death. I'm stunned/surprised.
    Jelly was on his way to death row freezer camp for an incident two weekends ago. He had become quite aggressive, even more so lately that the younger roos have been coming "of age".
    So RIP Jelly, once sweet cuckoo maran with crooked toes and a fondness for grape jelly.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    RIP! sorry you lost him that way!

3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    He was on death row anyway, but I'm sad that he had to die so violently. I just hated finding him with his head so bloody. He was obviously trying to hide and protect himself from his attacker(s). Only his head was bloody.

4. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    I am terribly sorry you had to find him like that. They can be so cruel to one another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by