Just found out I can have roosters here!!!

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
I just moved to a half acre in the middle of a small town, and found out I AM ALLOWED TO HAVE ROOSTERS!!!!!! I am pretty excited about it, because in my opinion, a rooster is one of the very best ways to protect your flock. I have a half acre, but most of it is wide open, then partly surrounded by privacy fence (read-perfect for hawks to swoop down and chow...to date, I have lost one young Delaware pullet to a hawk). I would like to look into getting a rooster for my 15 girls (come spring, there may not be quite so many...it was more economical to order 15 than the 9 I wanted...the plan was to order 15, then thin the numbers, but as attached as I get, they *might* all be staying lol). I am looking for a breed that is big, docile, and hopefully somewhat quite (I know, it varies from bird to bird, however, it also varies in general from breed to breed ie-orpingtons tend to not be quite as chatty as say, campines) so that I won't upset my very cool neighbors.

I prefer a gentleman who will take care of his ladies (again, I know this depends on the bird, but generalities may help me make my decision), and I don't want to pick a random mutt off of craigslist, deal with quarantining him, and all the stuff that goes along with introducing a new adult, and hope he isn't an a**hole when I get him home. He must be willing/able to try to protect them.

I have a mixed flock (1 BCM, 1 JG, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 golden campine, 1 buttercup, 1 white leghorn, 2 silver spangled hamburgs, 2 (I believe) blue orpingtons, 2 EEs, and 3 (I believe) welsummers), and have a preference for dual purpose breeds.

I would like a pretty good sized rooster...I am thinking maybe a barred cochin, a salmon faverolle, *maybe* a black copper marans, or something else along those lines...ideas? Suggestions?

Now the fun begins! I personally am partial to Brahmas and Orpingtons. They are usually docil and huge! You can afford to be picky with a roo, they are pretty easy to come by. Make sure you get one you will be happy with

I do adore orps...They were my introduction to chickens...did I mention I adore them? hah! I don't know much about brahmas, but their super fluff does appeal to me...

I agree Brahmas and Orps are fantastic. The Brahma roosters get HUGE though. You can always go with a bantam rooster. We currently have a bantam OEGB as our flock leader, OEGB as second in command, and our Buff Orp as low man on the totem pole. :) We are on 2/3 of an acre and all three get along.

Bantam roosters are adorable to watch too!

Oh, I definitely don't mind the big, rotund guys! That's actually what I'm hoping for! I had a blue cochin bantam rooster back in the day, and he was WONDERFUL to his girls...but he got mean towards people and drew blood when he attacked my mother once. He had to find a new home after that...but, while he lasted, Caspian was incredible!

I have just the one fellow through the winter (looking for a Wheaten Ameraucana for breeding). Midas, Buff Brahma. He is a gentleman through and through.......except where tomatoes are concerend, those he's not sharing!

Back
Top Bottom