just found out I got a boy

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have figured that one out of my two ducks was a boy. I was right. The quack is different and I have just seen the drake curled feathers. He is a Pekin and the girl is a Magpie. Do I need to get another duck? I haven't seen any breeding going on but I just wanted to get an idea on what to do.

If you have one of each, I think Mother Nature has you covered in terms of getting fertile eggs, if that's what you're looking for. As far as companionship goes, I don't think they care as long a there are at least two. Even an "only" duck can be perfectly happy as long as it has a lot of human companionship, but if you aren't in a position to give them several hours of daily attention two or more together will be happy. They just don't like to be all alone, IMO, as they are social birds by nature.

Oh thank you but I was wondering if there would be too much overbreeding going on with only one female duck to one male duck?

Yes...get at least one more girl.

I had a drake with 4 hens and he still managed to make his favorite girl bald on the back of her head!

Back
Top Bottom