Just found yellow/red bald spot on bottom of chicken, what might it be?

Tinyrexs

Hatching
Mar 13, 2021
F366D72F-6D92-4088-81B6-A23A27B7AFC3.jpeg

She still eats and drinks water. One of her fingers had a little scab and she had a small cut on her beak. Can this be mites? I just got my chickens about three weeks ago. They are all young, about 1 year old. They weigh about 3-4 pounds. Can I please get some advice on what this is?

It appears from the photo there are no abrasions or open wounds. Correct? If there are minor abrasions, spray with Vetericyn.

The baldness is more likely a panic injury than mites. This happens when a chicken has never seen or heard a shop vac or seen a big dog or a bear, you get the idea. They panic and try to squeeze to safety through impossible openings, sometimes even flying straight into a wall. This often causes such injuries, mostly minor in scope.

Try to think how they may have been frightened into panic, where it may have occurred, and what might have caused such an injury and you might want to fix it.

Do your chickens roost at night, and if so what on? The bare breast bone area may be from lying on the ground in damp bedding. Make sure they are learning to roost, and that the bedding is clean and dry. I like 2x4’s for roost with the wide side up. They can keep their feet under them and warm.

Back
Top Bottom