1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Just getting back into poultry

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hnderson, Jun 24, 2018.

1. hnderson

hnderson In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2018
    I've had chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, peafowl, and the requisite experience with coons, opossums, hawks, dogs, etc off and on for many years. Now I'm getting some Japanese Quail and will likely add some chickens to the yard. This is, however, the first time I'll be keeping them in a backyard. We've previously had farms. So I'm hoping that I can get tips here for keeping poultry in my backyard in a small northwestern US city.
    We've had a number of kinds of chickens. Our favorite were mille fleur bantam chickens. As to other birds, our favorite have been peafowl.
    My current back yard is fairly small so my challenge will be to give the birds enough space that they can scratch without tearing up too much of the yard.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I’ve no doubt that you will find the tips that you are looking for.

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

5. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Welcome! I'm in the NW too. Enjoy the site.

Tips for backyard keeping-- make sure you have a covered coop and run if you keep birds that can fly, like quail and Mille Fleurs. Fliers can all too easily end up in someone else's backyard and if they have dogs they can be gone in an instant. And it also hacks off the neighbors.

Make sure you keep the birds in a safe and secure coop at night, and keep it locked. We have lots of raccoons up here and they are very good at figuring out latches. And owls can easily take chickens, too, at night, so that's double the incentive to keep them protected when they're sleeping. Also use hardware cloth instead of the regular chicken wire, and make sure the spaces are no more that 1/2 an inch for chickens-- much less for quail. Otherwise, the birds can stick their heads through and be decapitated by possums and skunks. And it also keeps weasels and rodents from being able to enter.

You'll also want a partially covered run. We get a lot of rain here in most seasons. Unless there is a covered outdoor area, the birds will be stuck inside a great deal of the time.

Another tip-- talk to your neighbors before buying to get a feel on how they are going to respond. And also check your city ordinances. Some places still don't allow poultry, some places will allow no roosters, and sometimes there are ordinances about where you can place a coop. And more.

Good luck and enjoy.

ronott1, Farmer Connie and 007Sean like this.
  6. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and welcome to BYC!

Thanks for joining us!!! :)

ronott1 and Farmer Connie like this.
  7. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie LORD OF THE FEED Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    :thumbsup
    balloons.gif farmer-connie.1.gif balloons.gif

007Sean and ronott1 like this.
  8. hnderson

hnderson In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2018

Thanks, Jed

I appreciate the warnings. Do quail actually stick their heads through hardware cloth? I've been on the warpath with coons when we live on the farm in WI. In one summer we trapped at least 50.

007Sean and ronott1 like this.
  9. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome Wagon.gif

It is great that you found Us!

Check out the quail forum QUAIL

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: