Just getting my feet wet...

momto6Ls

Chirping
Jul 30, 2015
This is our first year at the "farming" thing. I have 45 chickens (after a few deaths), an old goat doe that is about to retire from giving milk, a yearling that just freshened and 2 CUTE bucklings that are keeping me busy.

I've been lurking on this site for a while. LOVE all the info.

Hope to continue to gleen from your amazing experience!

momto6Ls

It's an amazing life! I've lived on a farm for my entire life but this is the first year that I'm really getting involved with it. Me and my boyfriend purchased thirty white leghorns and just purchased two road island roosters and we're completely in love!
love.gif

I guess I didn't do that very well. I am a mom of 6 (thus my handle) and live in Utah.

Our chickens are all red sexlinks - 20 hens and 25 roosters.

My purpose for lurking is chicken feed questions. I still have many. I am trying to learn to feed fermented grains. I have also been feeding sourdough (they LOVE it) and they are free range all day. We coop them at night to protect against mink, skunk and racoon that we know live in this area...but really haven't had any problem yet. Our biggest problem has been the neighbor dog. Another neighbor does have problems with mink, though.

They have a free choice homemade grain mix (the well fed homestead version - no corn or soy), grit and oyster shell. We feed them lots of kitchen left overs - mostly cuttings from preparing meals, watermelon rinds and banana peels. They seem to eat anything. The stuff I don't think I should feed them I send to my compost pile, but they eat most of that too! LO

I'll post my questions in the appropriate forums,

THANKS for a great site!

momto6ls

We ordered them from a hatchery so for the most part yes. We think we have about three males mixed in with the bunch, we'll be trading the leghorn males later this fall for other hens.

So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock
wee.gif
. There are threads regarding fermenting feed, if you put that in the search box , they should pop up. A lot of people seem to be going that way , and their chickens really enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom