Just getting started-looking for Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JessicaJR, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JessicaJR

JessicaJR New Egg

Dec 21, 2016
    Round Rock, TX
    Hi,

My name is Jessica Reynolds and I live in Round Rock, Texas. I used to raise dairy goats, first in 4-H and then as an open competitor, for about 15 years. I also had pigs, a couple horses and some chickens. Now as an adult, I want to have animals to teach my young kids about life on the farm. I started with 5 pullets this summer and lost one a few weeks ago. Her death helped me discover that I had a mite infestation, so I treated my birds and made some changes (added a sand and DE dust bath area). I am enchanted with rainbow eggs and so far have a Olive Egger, an Easter Egger, a Black Copper Marans, and a White Leghorn. However, I am already looking forward to the future of my flock and am interested in becoming a Cream Legbar breeder. I am researching breeders and plan to start with a few hens and a roo and build up my flock, then trade out the roo so I'm not crossing dad to daughters. Anyways, I have big plans. Any suggestions on Cream Legbar breeders in Texas? It is worth getting stock from Greenfire Farms or should I go with a more small time breeder? Any breeders have consistent blue laying lines rather than blue green or green? I'd appreciate any advice.

I am looking forward to learning more, as I've been lurking and learning.

Thanks, Jessica

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi Jessice, welcome to Backyard Chickens. Ive owned 3 of the 4 breeds and I think theyre great. I live in Michigan and im not a breeder so i dont think i would be much help. So I will just welcome you.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jessica. You might try posting on your state thread. Just put Texas in the searchbox and it should pop up. I would imagine there is a cream legbar thread as well. They seem to be very popular. [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello, Jessica and welcome to our community - I wish you all the best with your breeding programme.

CT

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jessica, it's nice to have you here! Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC... what's being offered is always changing so you may find what you want. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck to you with all your plans!

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Jessica! [​IMG]

7. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Be sure to join the cream legbar thread on the forums! It is pretty active and there are breeders that can help you with questions about cream legbars.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thank you for joining us today, please make yourself at home and enjoy BYC!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under JessicaJR [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope your plans come to fruition.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by