Just getting started! Lots of questions!

BirdyMe

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
near St. Louis, Missouri
A good friend has some eggs she's storing for me, and I'm picking up an incubator either tomorrow or on Friday!

I'm pretty excited, here. :)

This is the first time I've ever used an incubator. I know literally nothing, which is a bad thing. x) So, I have some questions:

1. How long do peafowl eggs take to develop?
2. What temperature/humidity levels should peafowl eggs be kept at?
3. Should I leave the chicks in the bator for a while after they hatch?

And, after the hatching:

1. What should I feed peachicks? I had two peachicks a few years ago (poor babies died), and I remember I fed them flock raiser, and scrambled eggs every day. Is that the right thing to do?
2. What temperature should they be kept at as babies?

I'll have many more questions as this whole thing pans out, but those are all for now. Thanks in advance!

1) 28 days
2)40-45% first 25 days,then up at 55% last 3 days
3)You can leave them in the bator for 24 hours after they hatch,but then they need to drink and eat

1)Gamebird feed 22% protein for a month,then 18% is fine for up to 20 months,then switch to a Layer ration
2) 85-95 Degrees for the first week,,then decrease 5 degree each week after

If you can find medicated gamebird starter feed that's good for them.

Look at the top of this thread for the "sticky" topics & read Peafowl 101 -- it has a lot of good information for you.

Good luck & keep us posted! I'm fixing to incubate my first peacock eggs, too! will be setting them tomorrow in fact. I've hatched a lot of chickens but I'm as nervous as though it were my first time!

Thankya folks! I picked up my incubator this afternoon, and I'm getting ready to fire it up and get the temperature all fized up and such. I'm excited! :D

Good luck & keep us posted! I'm fixing to incubate my first peacock eggs, too! will be setting them tomorrow in fact. I've hatched a lot of chickens but I'm as nervous as though it were my first time!

Good luck to you! :D I'm a little nervous too. x)

If it does not work out, you may want to practice incubating with chickens first, peas are a little harder.

fl.gif

Yeah in the 2 or 3 years I have tried hatching peafowl eggs I have only hatched out a total of one. That was Peep. Today I just put six eggs in the incubator and I hope that at least one will hatch. Of course having one hatch will mean I will have an extremely clingy peachick just like what Peep was...Although I think I need another clingy peafowl so that Peep will have a friend that shares something in common with him.
roll.png

Good luck everyone with your hatching!

I put the eggs in yesterday morning! It's been a little tough keeping the temperature completely steady, since our house temperature changes about 25 degrees from night to day, but I've figured out just how much I need to turn it up/down now. I'm excited! I think I'm going to put a few chicken eggs in there tonight, since I read that peachicks do better if they have a "starter chick" in with them to help them learn to eat and drink.

@MinxFox- I know what you mean about having a clingy peachick! Last year, I had a broody hen hatch out one peachick. His name was Minnow, and he wanted to sit on my shoulder- all the time!! So after a bit I got another peachick that was the same age for him to hang with. Minnow and Willow (as the new peachick was dubbed) got a long great- but then they both wanted to sit on my shoulder-all the time! x) They were such sweet babies!

Back
Top Bottom