Just getting started raising chickens....and in need of help please.

PunxSFTFX

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
Oak View
I bought 4 chickens from the local feed store. Within a day one started pooping blood. I did some research on here to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it. I spoke with the lady that I bought them from and she gave me what I believe is an antibiotic.. I really don't think that would fix them so I went to a feed store about 15 min. down the road and spoke to them. I lost 1 and the other feed store gave me diatemicious earth to give them. It is food grade and is given to all kinds of animals for internal parasites and worms among other things... I just mix the reccomended amount in their food and they eat it. Fleas ticks mites ect. you put it on the outside of the animal and it kills the bug by dehydrating them.. Has anybody used it for chickens? It seems to be working with the antibiotic. They aren't pooping blood anymore. I have read to use Ivomec Eprinex but no feed store around me carrys it. Thanks for the feed back. after giving antibiotic I have also heard it is good to mix a bit of yogurt in the food so their probiotic get back on track..

Bloody poop is a sure sign of coccidosis, cocci for short. It is a PROTOZOA. Common medications are amprol and corrid. Both will work very fast and "fix" the chicks. Since it is in the area, medicated feed, which contains low levels of amprol, a thiamine blocker that inhibits the reproductive cycle of cocci, might be a good idea. For medicated feeds to work, chicks require exposure to the protozoa, which in your case, already has occurred. However, if the poop was real blood and not intestinal sloughings, the chicks will be lethargic. Otherwise, they are fine.

The poop seemed to have a bit of blood in it. Have you ever heard of the diametious earth stuff. They seem to be doing a ton better today with no blood in the poop at all I clean them out daily so I can see their poop. The feed store where I got them said that they ate the bedding and thats why they pooped blood. I will call the feed stores and get medicine and medicated started feed. thanks for your time.

DE is popular with some, but personally I don't think it's "the best thing since sliced bread".

As for the chicks, if they are not lethargic, they probably don't have cocci. When they poop blood, the brooder will look like you cut your hand and bled all over the floor. If that is not what you're seeing, don't worry about it, what you saw was probably not blood.

I'm glad to hear that your chickens' health is starting to improve. Here's a link to a website that has helped me. It's all about chicken poop. There's photos ranging from normal poop to poop of very ill chickens. It's found at http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I
personally do not use DE either but many people do and it seems to work for them. Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the help!! I got corrid from the feed store. Should I treat the chickens with it just to make sure they are all better?? If so whats the amount of corrid to gallon of water? I also bought medicated feed. In which amount do I mix that with their regular food? Thanks again!!!
big_smile.png

I use organic, food grade DE and am really pleased with it. I sprinkle it on the shavings in the coop. I also use it in my garden and around the house. It's also great for fleas. If you're not into pesticides and stuff, it's a great alternative. It can be fed to animals to control intestinal parasites and people can even take it. The most important thing is to make sure that you're getting FOOD GRADE...you don't want the stuff that's used for pool filters.

I also add apple cider vinegar to my waterer...it helps to cut down on bacteria.

So since I am really new at this raising chickens thing should I stick with the DE only or use the corrid just to make sure and follow up feeding medicated feed with a bit of DE mixed in?

Blood in poo is *the* sign of coccidiosis and DE will not affect or cure cocci. I recommend treating with Corrid as if you have coccidiosois. I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, but do believe that when you have something that is treatable, you should. DE is good in the shavings for preventing mites and fleas, but will not affect a protozoan like cocci. Treat now for cocci, and use DE in shavings/coop for prevention of external parasites.

Back
Top Bottom