Just Getting Started - What Color Silkie Do You Recommend Breeding?

I've been emailing Bobbi Porto. Excited about getting some gorgeous silkies from her!!!
smile.png

The best idea is to choose a color you like. You have to have the passion for it first. I have multiple colors and I play around some, but my favorite is black, second is white, third is blues (even though the judges don't like them)... and I do like a really dark cuckoo although this is another variety disliked by judges.

I also have to admit that I like showgirls. Any chicken that looks like it walked right out of a Dr. Seuss book is fine with me... however, I breed them sparingly as I **love** showing and they aren't accepted. I still show them, but they won't go higher than BV.

Choose a color you like. If you want a beginner color, try to stick to a solid color that you like,.. although if there is a patterned bird that you just feel oh-so passionate about then try it.

I absolutely LOVE my silkies. I have DH on board to build me a separate coop/run just for my breeding flock, which will allow me to keep my pet quality babies separate and just use them for broodies and eating eggs.
wee.gif
I am looking forward to breeding these beautiful birds for quality and I figure, if for some reason it doesn't work out then I'm only out some money but I have a new coop/run for more chickens and some GORGEOUS additions to my flock!
thumbsup.gif
You all are incredibly helpful!! I'm so happy I found this site!

Back
Top Bottom