Just getting started...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 3acrefarm, Jun 27, 2016.

1. 3acrefarm

3acrefarm New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    So, we just put up a barn and really great fencing fencing for our new KIDS coming!! And while I wait I am creating a coop for 4 chickens that I am excited to get.
    Where is the best place to get layers and is there a suggestion as to how old. Can you raise them to be friendly??

Thank you!!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, hope you enjoy your time here :]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be getting your chicken adventures underway :clap You might like to check out the buy sell trade section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade
    Point of lay pullets would be ideal as they are young and should be ready for laying very soon.

Have you checked out your state thread? Members in your area may also be able to pint you in the right direction. You can use the search bar above to find your state.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally starting with baby chicks and socializing a lot will = friendlier birds. But even older birds will come around with the right incentive - treats!!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! If you don't mind waiting about 5-6 months for the first eggs, getting chicks and raising them yourself is the best way to get them tame and used to you. It is possible with older chickens, as DD said above, treats, treats and more treats! Also spending a lot of time with them helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by