Just getting started...

3acrefarm

Hatching
Jun 27, 2016
So, we just put up a barn and really great fencing fencing for our new KIDS coming!! And while I wait I am creating a coop for 4 chickens that I am excited to get.
Where is the best place to get layers and is there a suggestion as to how old. Can you raise them to be friendly??

Thank you!!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be getting your chicken adventures underway :clap You might like to check out the buy sell trade section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade
Point of lay pullets would be ideal as they are young and should be ready for laying very soon.

Have you checked out your state thread? Members in your area may also be able to pint you in the right direction. You can use the search bar above to find your state.
Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Generally starting with baby chicks and socializing a lot will = friendlier birds. But even older birds will come around with the right incentive - treats!!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! If you don't mind waiting about 5-6 months for the first eggs, getting chicks and raising them yourself is the best way to get them tame and used to you. It is possible with older chickens, as DD said above, treats, treats and more treats! Also spending a lot of time with them helps.

Back
Top Bottom