Just Getting Started!

MacKelly2019

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My 9 pullets are now 5 1/2 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I ordered 7 Plymouth Rock & got 9!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I started with Plymouth Rock because they are reported to have a docile nature, to do well in cold winter, and good egg layers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They crack me up! So funny to watch them figure things out.

5) Only issue is this: Some of my girl chicks may be boy chicks. I cannot have roosters in my city. I've been trying to find someone to take them if this happens, but not having any luck. Anyone have any ideas about what I should do if I end up with BOYS???

Hi and welcome to BYC. “Boys” can be eaten, given away or sold. We all have different management approaches to keeping livestock so the choice is yours.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I can have roosters where I am. BUT I did end up with an unexpected second cockerel. The two boys got on okay but the pullets were being abused.
I decided to rehome the nicer boy. I advertised him on Craigslist and two local FB poultry groups with the prettiest pictures I could get of him (I posed him in front of some nice plants). He went off to his new home with 4 hens of his own within 2 weeks. I visited him a month later to collect my crate and he was happy as a clam.

Back
Top Bottom