Just Getting Started

jeffwreck3619

Hatching
May 27, 2019
I am just starting out with the chickens and we are in the process of building a coop and trying to get everything we need before I even pick out the birds. I like to be prepared before starting anything. I am so excited to start this. I grow all my own veg, and am looking forward to adding, chickens and next year honey bees. Trying to disconnect from the so called normal food chain we have now. Any info I can get will be invaluable for me.

Lots of good reading on BYC. Good idea to have the coop ready before the chicks arrive.

How many eggs do you want a day? Since chickens don’t lay an egg everyday (with the exception of production birds), you may find you need 10 birds to always get 6 eggs, for example. We have 10 layers, we get 7/eggs per day usually (range 4-8/day). One of our hens is broody again, so she’s not laying.

So, when you determine you number of birds expected in your flock, then make sure you build enough space inside the coop and in a protected run. Even if you free range outside the run, you’ll find it helpful to have a secure run when predators are around.

Where are you located? Hot, cold, dry, wet? All these factor into coop design and choice of chicken breed. Choose less heavily feathered birds if you live in a very hot place, likewise choose breeds known to tolerate cold well if you are somewhere that can have long or intense winter weather.

Check out the article section on BYC too, in addition to the forums.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom