Just getting started

David Glaze

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Echo Alabama
expecting my first order of chicks next week,i plan on feeding them medicated feed. My question is two part, first how long do I feed them this med fed, and second all I can find in medicated fed is only 18% protein. Is this enough protein to start chicks on ? Thanks for your help.

I had a problem with feather picking with my chicks on 18% (Manna Pro) medicated starter. They had plenty of room, so that wasn't the issue. I switched to DuMOR 24% chick starter and didn't have an issue after that. They also make a 20% Starter/Grower. It can be found at Tractor Supply Company, if you have one near you. Have fun with your new chicks!!

ETA: Looking at TSC website, their DuMor feed doesn't appear to be medicated. You can try the 18% medicated and see how they do. If after a couple of weeks you notice picking, then you can switch to a higher protein chick starter and see if that works. They carry the Manna Pro and Purina brands of medicated chick starter. Both are 18%.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I will try that.I have had a lot of chickens in the past, but this is my first time ordering chicks on line. I ordered from Meyers,i hope I made a good choice.

Meyer is a good choice from what I've heard. If your little chickies poop a bright neon green in the first day or so, don't worry. It's a product they use called "Oasis" that is a feed supplement they use for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom