Just getting started...

ChatKath47

Songster
7 Years
May 19, 2015
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am new to the world of chicken raising and have a few questions., I only have two, an Adorable Amerucana named "Jane" and a bright white, very curious, Leghorn named "Blondie". I want to feed them properly so they will stay healthy, so I have been giving them some veg scraps and am growing certain plants just for them - like wheatgrass seed, parsley and a couple other items which they love - but must ask...are Chives safe for them?. And Rosemary?

My next question for tonight is that I cleaned some radishes from the store and want to be sure they green tops are safe to give to my chickens. I know there are things that are toxic, like apple seeds, potato skins, citrus and a few other things, but want to make sure which produce is safe and which isn't. They love squash seeds and the rind of watermelon with some melon attached. I gave them zucchini tonight, a few slices, and a small portion of undressed salad.

I was told that the squash family is a natural de-wormer or worm preventer. My chickens don't have worms and want to keep it that way. I looked at the packages of Type D worm medicine at the feed store that say "Not safe for human consumption" -- OK, but if it goes into the chicken, I am afraid it will pass through into the eggs! The natural, or organic, non-GMO is what I want to know about. Like squash...am told that's a great natural way to prevent worms. Anything else to include?

Any suggestions, any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
frow.gif

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have to ask about a good quality flock raiser or layer pellet for your girls? These feeds have all your girls will need nutritional wise. Scratch and then treats such as your greens can then be fed to them as a 10% part of their diet. As for your worming if it says not fit for human consumption or is a chemical wormer I would not eat the eggs. It should say a withdrawal period of usually 2 weeks from eating the eggs. I use a natural wormer in my birds called verm-x I'm not sure if it's available where you are. I'm over in the UK.

Good luck with your girls and enjoy BYC :frow

My chickens eat apples! I can't stop them from eating them..seeds and all..I have apple trees.
tongue.png
They love them They are fine. For yrs now, no problems.

I give them a lot of different fruits and veggies..what ever is in season. They are free range .. just in my back yard, but they also have their layer feed.

I have heard this about the squash family as a wormer. I'm hearing/reading more often than not, that it doesn't work. I don't worm on a reg. basis. Once, a couple of yrs. ago, I saw worms in one of the droppings. See one like that..treat it. I used Valbazen. Yes, there is an egg withdraw time. Some farmers don't care, they eat the eggs anyway! Not me. I wait. Can't remember..I think it's ten days. Bummer.
hmm.png

Yes, their feed is one for layers, granules, and it's said to be nutritionally complete. I do supplement with fresh vegetables, they're allowed to free range and get a treat called "Pullet-Together" which is grains and mealworms. (a handful a day to coax back into the coop area.)

caf.gif

I haven't invested in worm meds as I figured it best to wait to see, as you mentioned, them showing up. My d.inlaw said she read that they should have wormer once a month through the summer, but I am reluctant to feed them the chemical stuff on the store shelf. If there is a preventative type of item to put in the feed, I can do that, but think it may be best to wait until I see if they have worms. Next problem - I read of stuff to add to the water - and wonder why? I change the water daily and wash out (with water only) the whole waterer and clean out any algae that forms in the warm weather we're having. Is there a need to use something in their water? Also, what do I need to know about lice? They're healthy, beautiful girls and I love them to pieces! Want to keep them that way. We let them free range for a couple hours a day in the backyard - Blondie will come hop up in my lap when I sit on a lawn chair. She's a hoot!

Last edited:
Yes, their feed is one for layers, granules, and it's said to be nutritionally complete. I do supplement with fresh vegetables, they're allowed to free range and get a treat called "Pullet-Together" which is grains and mealworms. (a handful a day to coax back into the coop area.)
Don't feed layer ration unless they are actually laying.

They are, Blondie and Jane gift us with one white and one green every day...infact, they both just laid, heard them "announcing" it a few minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom