Just got 5 barred Rock hens 5 months ago and they have worms. What is safe to use to rid them of worms so that we can still eat the eggs? Thanks, Gran

Grandmere

Hatching
Feb 27, 2022
We acquired barred rock hens about months ago and they seem to have worms(a flock of birds flew over the property 3 weeks ago and pooped all over the yard.). What can I used to deworm the hens and still keep eating the eggs/ Thanks, Grandmere

Hi there, How have you determined your hens have worms? Worms do not necessarily come from other birds, they're are usually a factor of the environment. There are no products that I'm aware of that does not include an egg withdrawal period.

Do you see any worms in the poop, and if so pictures are helpful. Many worms are microscopic, but a fecal float by your vet will tell you the types and if worm larvae are present, along with looking for coccidiosis. Valbazen and Safeguard liquid goat wormer are both very safe wormers commonly used in chickens. Those treat roundworms, cecal, capillary, and gapeworms, but are not the best for tapeworms.Both require a 14 day egg withdrawal time, although some people do not bother. Levamisole or Prohibit powder to use in the water can also be used with the same egg withdrawal time. I would get the fecal float if possible to make sure that they have worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom