*Urgent* My Hen has Gape Worms, What do I do?

Petrichora

Hatching
Sep 12, 2023
Hello Everyone! Firstly I want to say thank you to BYC for being a resource and community. I'm so glad to have found a place like this for a beginner for someone in a unique opportunity like mine!

I work at a historical farmhouse in NYC, and we have 3 hens and an acreage with some plant beds in them. I work full time with weekends off so I'm not able to watch the hens round the clock per se, but there is a groundkeeper who keeps and eye when I cant.

That being said, lets get into it (I'm very much a beginner who inherited these birdsd so apologies if I dont have all the right info, but I'll try my best! )

Honeybun is maybe a Brown Leghorn (except she lays brown eggs, i'm not familiar with the varieties of breeds) this past Saturday (9/9) my Garden Apprentice noticed that Honeybun was sneezing in the morning, I didn't notice any snot/drool around the beak so I kept an eye to see if their was any other signs of a respiratory issue. By the afternoon an apprentice reported that Honeybun was vomiting! At first we thought that this was just sour crop, I figured that the sour crop was a symptom to something bigger and thats when i inspected what she "threw up" and saw these red, almost earthworm like worms all throughout!

We identified the worms as gape worms, if that's what it is, i have ordered a dewormer that I intend to use for all 3 of my hens but what should I do in the meantime? Honey bun has been quarantined, hasn't been fed anything except water with garlic cloves in it. I know I'm still operating as if Honeybun JUST has sour crop, but what could i do to handle these worms? I've ordered this dewormer Safe-guard (Fenbendazole) Dewormer Liquid 125ml that's arriving later tonight, but is it okay to give Honeybun food? What type of food? do I need to change her diet??

Attachments

• 20230909_145226.jpg
    20230909_145226.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230804_152708.jpg
    20230804_152708.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 31
Those arnt gapeworms. It looks like Honeybun has been gorging on earthworms and puked up some of them.
However, earthworms can be hosts for different types of worms and once the Safeguard arrives, go ahead and worm her and the other two hens as well.
Gapeworms are red in color and no more 3/4 inch long and are lodged in the trachea.
Here's a pic:

gapeworm-chickens-syngamus-trachea.jpg

Those arnt gapeworms. It looks like Honeybun has been gorging on earthworms and puked up some of them.
However, earthworms can be hosts for different types of worms and once the Safeguard arrives, go ahead and worm her and the other two hens as well.
Gapeworms are red in color and no more 3/4 inch long and are lodged in the trachea.
Here's a pic:

View attachment 3634217
Thank you for the insight! See when I first inspected the worms I commented in how much they look like earthworms and I was right! Should've stuck to my gut!

Honeybun looks a lot like my hatchery stock Welsummer. If those are earthworms, earthworms are known for being one of the leading sources for roundworm infection, so since you've got safeguard on its way it would be alright to worm your chickens with it, anyway. I found this helpful when worming my birds when I first found round worms in their poop:
Safely Administering Oral Medicarions to all Poultry and Waterfowl

20230110_152432.jpg

Back
Top Bottom