Just got a new pullet and the others are picking on her.

Baily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have 3 RIR's who are 3.5 months old and 2 ended up as roosters. I just got a 2.5 month old blue maran today and one of the roosters keeps chasing her and pulling out her neck feathers! She found a hiding place but how can I get him to stop? He wont be here long as I am not allowed to keep roosters.

I would pen him separately. It sounds as if he's experimenting with early mating behaviors, but obviously that pullet chick is too young for that. Plus she's an outsider, and outsiders tend to be bullied by the others until pecking order is worked out. Adding a single bird is never a good idea because of this fact.

Thank you :) I built my own coop and run because I rescued 3 baby chicks from a trash can. I wasn't expecting to end up with a rooster or even possibly 2. Because of this, I only have room for 3-4 birds and I could only get one more. That is good information to have though, Thank you very much.

I would lock up the roo.With room for just 3-4 I would get rid of the roos and keep some hens only.Good luck. I had hens that attacked too.No matter what I did they just would not stop picking on others. I just keep them sperated till I rehomed the meanest.

Last night I put a big dog kennel in the run for the new pullet so they can just see her and get used to her. I am getting rid of the roosters, the mean one asap so hopefully when he is gone everyone will get along. My other hen doesn't seem to even care that she is here.

And keep in mind that the cockerel probably isn't even intending to be "mean." At this age, he hasn't learned manners, plus he's hormone-ridden. He's just doing what nature intended. But that little pullet chick shouldn't have to deal with it. If they free ranged, it probably wouldn't be a big issue, because she could get away. But being penned is another matter. Glad to hear you're rehoming the roos...

I'm just getting started with chicks, which I'm loving, but will soon be putting a couple of polish chicks in with some that are 3 or 4 weeks older. Is there any thing organic I can put on the little polish guys heads that will keep the other chicks from plucking them?

I have heard that you should bring in two newbies at a time. That way they can stick together and they will have at least one friend.

Also, this could be the pecking order forming. If this has been happening for just a short period of time, then it will hopefully wear of soon
and the pecking order will have formed.

It's too late now, but if you ever add another bird, please quarantine it for 4-6 weeks away from the others to be sure it doesn't bring in any disease. That is crucial if and when you add birds to your flock. Chickens can be carriers of a disease and appear perfectly healthy, but can infect your entire flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom