Just got a pup....half Great Dane and half German Shepherd

Jovi is adorable! Have fun with her, and just remember this: if she loves being on your lap now, she will love being on your lap as an adult!
lol.png

She's super cute! I've got 2 Danes. You said she's only 5-6 weeks old? That's WAY too early to have taken her from the momma; it really upsets me when I hear of people taking them away so young. Those last few weeks with momma are SO awfully important - please know that this is when she teaches them the importance of communication and socializes them to the outside world. You'll need to be extra careful that you spent LOTS of time socializing her!

BEST of luck with her - Danes have absolutley the BEST personalities!
love.gif

good luck with her, shes so cute!
love.gif
and I agree with Wynette that she was taken from her momma/fam too early but theres not much you can do now so just be careful socializing her, this is also the time when they learn bite inhibition and other valuable things such as how to communicate with other dogs (in case you didnt know bite inhibition-how not to bite, they play fight with each other and if one bites another too hard the other pup squeals to say they bit too hard and that one hurt plus sometimes mama corrects pups too, an important lesson your little one missed out on), so your gonna have to do an especially good job socializing her since she didnt have the added benefit of learning the rest of that stuff from her momma, good luck. I also think the best way to get her to stop crying is to ignore her, I know it's tough but thats the only way, if you go comfort or correct her then your giving her attention and she keeps it up, dogs dont like to be comforted and stuff like "oh it ok baby, its ok", etc when it thunders or something, it makes em think your weak, and they dont like that, they want/need a strong, confident pack leader and some dogs will try to take over that role if your not but trust me they dont like too, having to manage everything, its a very unstable/demanding position and theyre often very insecure having this role, theyd much rather have you do it and follow you, plus any attention, good or bad, to a dog is giving them what they want so if you go comfort or correct her or interact with her in any way, you are giving her what she want and encouraging that behavior, deliberately or not, so she'll keep doing it so the best way is to ignore her. plus she was seperated from her mom too early, so no wonder she's crying, but you need to ignore her, I know its hard to do but you have to otherwise she'll keep doing it. however because shes a pup and was seperated too early and is so adorable you could also try putting a warm water bottle under her bed/blanket, get a ticking alarm clock, get a stuffed animal or something for her and/or give her an object like a toy or blanket or even a sock or something from her family/litermates/old home for comfort. the water bottle and stuffed animal are for warmth, like she had with her littermates, they cuddled together so its like theyre body heat, the clock is supposedly like a heartbeat, again because they cuddled, they could hear/feel each others heartbeats so that supposedly simulates that, all of these things supposedly comfort them. but you still need to ignore her, she should eventually settle down after a while (maybe 10-15 min, maybe longer though possibly 30 min, maybe even 45 min to an hour but she will settle) if you ignore her and if she doesnt or wakes up later, she probably has to go to the bathroom or something. also (for housebreaking and just in general) pups need to be taken out after they eat, sleep/wake up (from sleeping), drink, and play and as a general rule, they can only "hold it" for 1 hr for every month of age (so for example a 3 month old dog could only hold it for 3 hours) and you need to be very vigilant and take them out at the first signs theyre starting to go, there are many methods though, im sure you could find something that works or a combo of multiple techniques, good luck!
big_smile.png

edited for spelling and to say good luck (again... lolz
lol.png
)!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
mother had lots of trouble with a big litter of huge pups....she had to have surgery and the pups had to be taken away or she would not have made it. They were an accident, they didn't want the cross breed.

she is doing great....thinks my choc. lab is mom and even tries to nurse off of her.

Last edited:
oh well then in that case, if you were going to risk losing the mom I think it is totally the best thing for them, lots of dogs have been raised from a few weeks for various reasons (orphans, strays, accidents, runts, etc) and have done fine, some are even younger than her like 4 weeks, sometimes 2-3 and they go in foster homes and stuff and do fine, so now that we have the whole story, I'm totally with you, wouldn't want to lose the mom, Im just glad the pups doing ok, and thats so cute how she loves your other dog(s) so much,
love.gif
glad to hear it,
big_smile.png
like i said im just glad to hear theyre all ok, good luck and congrats!
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

oh yeah, cause she's only a GSD and he's a HUGE dane, dane pups are huge, no wonder she had trouble, hard to carry for another dog unless theyre also huge especially being a relatively small-medium ish GSD and not a huge gsd, its no wonder she had some problems, should have been the other way around (dane mom, GSD dad), wouldve been easier on em... lol
lol.png
, but im just glad to hear theyre ok and are doing well, good luck!
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Congrats on your new baby!! My Harlequin Great Dane passed away in November, he was 11 years old, which is ancient for a Dane. I adopted him from a Dane rescue when he was 2 and he brought me nothing but joy and happiness.

Danes become really attached to their owners, are big couch potatoes, and get their feelings hurt very easy (kinda like men!!).

Just remember Danes are big and very strong so be consistent with training and let him know you're the boss, in the most gentle way possible of course! Also Danes are prone to bloat so when he gets a little older you may want to elevate his food bowl. Lots of information available on the internet about them which is helpful.

Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom